Asus Z690 Intel upgrade bundle - won't boot from SSD

Associate
Hi guys,

Have just built an upgraded PC with this bundle and i7-12700k (OC'd from OC). 3 issues:

1) One of AIO radiator Fans is flickering - that's ok,
2) New PSU Is buzzing - power seems fine though

However 3) I cannot boot from my drives. Bios detects all drives, is fine with the cpu, I'm assuming Overclockers updated where needed, but it just won't boot from my SSD at all, so, any advice?

Cheers

Last edited:
Associate
Try turning csm(legacy bios) on in the boot options, if that doesnt work your mbr might be on another of your old drives there guides to fix this.

Man of Honour
CSM options are greyed out, have used cmd to find w10 installation on my ssd, but then I get "cannot find" error trying to use it

Is secure boot enabled? You might not be able to enable CSM if secure boot is enabled.

How old was the Windows install you're trying to boot from?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Is secure boot enabled? You might not be able to enable CSM if secure boot is enabled.

How old was the Windows install you're trying to boot from?
I had secure boot set to standard (or whichever the option was, out of the two) and CSM options were always unavailable unfortunately. W10 installation was originally from a few years back, but was updated and in use up to only a few days ago

Man of Honour
W10 installation was originally from a few years back, but was updated and in use up to only a few days ago

I was mainly trying to establish if your old build was UEFI or the old legacy/BIOS mode, if it is the latter, then it will not boot until you can enable CSM.

Associate
OP
Got workable USB back. Can't open my C: drive at all, upgrade/recovery says to format disk, chkdsk says its Ntfs.. diskpart shows partitions normally.. should I commit to the format and lose it all or is there a way around to get drive accessible again?

Man of Honour
Got workable USB back. Can't open my C: drive at all, upgrade/recovery says to format disk, chkdsk says its Ntfs.. diskpart shows partitions normally.. should I commit to the format and lose it all or is there a way around to get drive accessible again?

In the absence of CSM and backups, then for me, the best option would be to remove all SSDs/HDDs from the board (at least, the data connection) and install Windows to another (empty) one, since the data should then be accessible through Widnows when you reconnect the drives (depending on encryption). The issue is that if you have a legacy install you can't boot from it, but I believe there's nothing to stop you accessing it from within a UEFI install.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom