Athletics

Soldato
Athletics...

I do respect the "peak" of human condition and that.

But as a spectator sport?

Just watched a bunch of football, Rugby last weekend and UFC later.

My point is, as an entertainment sport, what the crap is it?

I'm guessing it's only on the BBC as they cannot afford to put anything else on (just turned off the football and Athletics came on).

I will probably watch the Olympics and be overjoyed with the rest of the Country by cheering a rower on or something in a few years.

Soldato
Everyone has different taste, i can watch many sports in small doses and enjoy it. Some athletics, Snooker, Pool, swimming, tennis, rugby, football, boxing, cycling, gymnastics, winter sports, motor sports, some olympic sports, darts etc.

Soldato
Saw an interview with Seb Coe last night. He was talking about his mission to re-invent track and field and where they are on the journey. Given it's the World Championships at the moment and GB has performed quite well it a bit surprising to me that the only thread on the first two pages is a moan from someone about how boring they find athletics.
Coe was explaining how they need to make the sport more appealing including not restricting major events to every 2/4 years, having a longer season, doing more Netflix style PR and creating more personalities. I've always been a fan and watch the big events and I can't quite understand how its become so marginal - maybe the lack of a Usain Bolt to galvanise the casuals but more likely resistance from the governing bodies to change.

Anyway shout out to the young crop of British athletes coming through. Gold in the mens 1500m two years in a row, KJT regaining a heptathlon world title and credible silver in mens 400m. Bronze for Ben Pattison in the 800m. Looks like Budapest did a decent job of hosting also.

Soldato
BBC coverage is ridiculous. Just Gabby talking to Ennis et al whilst the sport carries.on behind them!

Switched to Eurosport who actually show the events.

Soldato
I've been quite enjoying the championships this year.

Unfortunately for my partner if something has a competitive element to it, I'll get into it. She dreads the Olympics because I'll have it on TV nonstop. I draw the line at dressage

Caporegime
Watched a bit of it this year but only the sprints. Noah Lyles winning the 100m was a shock but he cruised to the 200m title. Not sure if he'll eventually beat Bolts record but he's going to have to run faster to continue dominating, Knighton is a serious talent and he's only 19!

Of the events I watched, Sherika Jackson was the standout, second fastest 200m time in history.

Soldato
As someone who rarely watches any sport on TV, I actually like watching athletics. I like switching between the disciplines and learning about niche sports, such as shot putt or pole vault.

It reminds me of playing Olympics on games consoles in my youth and getting right into something obscure like archery!

Aga

Aga

Associate
I have been watching athletics for many years, each new competition is another dose of excitement. Each athlete spends a lot of time to achieve the best possible results. Don't you think their efforts are not appreciated enough?

Back
Top Bottom