• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (Socket 939)

Soldato
I have an Athlon 64 4000+, would i see a decent diff going from that to X2 4600+, only ask as friend is offering me one el'cheapo since hes upgrading yet again. My systems what you could call top end AGP so wonderd if this would inject a nice little shot of life into it before i take the plunge and proceed with major system upgrade early next year?

Also am i correct in thinking the MSi K8N Neo2 board supports dual cores? Any advice very welcome. :)

Soldato
well its the same speed less cache though however it does have the advantage of the 2nd core. how much is the changeover/upgrade going to cost you for switching?

Soldato
OP
He only wants £65.00 for it (excluding cooler) :) Switching to PCi im not doing till the nut house of technology steadies a bit, as last 12 months been crazy ;)

Soldato
right so say you sell yours for £50 thats a £15 cost to upgrade to dual-core, hmm i would probably do it, but if all you do 75% or more of the time is gaming then i probably wouldnt bother.

Soldato
OP
Heh well i would sell mine if i could, but instead im been kind and would be using CPU to build my youngest bro a decent 1st PC since hes reached an age where he needs one for homework and light gaming etc :) Myself i use it for some gaming, study work & web browsing etc so going by what you say this may not be worth it. Wont effect my little bro if i dont go for it, coz sourcing a 3500+ for peanuts is not hard. ;)

Associate
I have just gone from a 4000 to 4600 X2. Obviously no great speed difference in single tasks but when multi tasking the difference is very clear. I did it to enable me to wait a bit longer to go the core 2 duo route.

Soldato
OP
Hmm, guess a good example would be to see what diff you got peformance wise in say 3dmark06 going from one to the other. Didnt by chance happen to check this out did you after doing the swap? :confused:

Associate
Sean_UK said:
Hmm, guess a good example would be to see what diff you got peformance wise in say 3dmark06 going from one to the other. Didnt by chance happen to check this out did you after doing the swap? :confused:

In 3dmark 06 you will see a huge difference, because it utilizes dual core properly(and quad core :D )

Back
Top Bottom