• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI's R600 will consume over 250W

Associate
TheInquirer reports that ATI's highly anticipated next GPU will consume up to an incredible 250W to work. The currently fastest ATI, R580+ or Radeon X1950 XTX consumes up to 125W in a worst case scenario and heavy 3D while you can suck up 145W out with the dual chip X7950 GX2 card. This means that the R600 will consume twice as much power, and probably will end up close to twice as warm but we also hear it will get much faster then the current cards with sixty four pipelines. It could easily end up twice as fast than the current ATI offerings.

Associate
With those sort of cards in crossfire we will need our own little reactors just to power the things. :rolleyes:

Wonder how easy it is to have multiple PSU's in a system to power these plus everything else. :confused:

Man of Honour
I don't care how fast it is 250 would be ridiculous, no way you can justify that kind of power draw, many entire rigs draw less than that, even gaming ones!

Soldato
PinkFloyd said:
I hope its nonsense :eek:
Oh, it is. There's also a load of clap-trap flying about that G80 will need its own PSU (a lot of rumours say external.)

Frigging joke how people just sit around making this garbage up.

Soldato
Ulfhedjinn said:
Oh, it is. There's also a load of clap-trap flying about that G80 will need its own PSU (a lot of rumours say external.)

Frigging joke how people just sit around making this garbage up.

it wouldnt be the first card thats had an external psu. what makes you think its so far out of reach?

Soldato
james.miller said:
it wouldnt be the first card thats had an external psu. what makes you think its so far out of reach?
Because it will be Nvidia's flagship when it's released. The cards with external PSUs so far have been bizarre models like the ASUS duals etc. and not flagship cards.

Can you imagine the sheer number of people spitting in Nvidia's face if they made their new flagship require an external PSU? A great many Nvidia fans are waiting for G80 with baited breath, and those same fans constantly criticise ATI cards for their power requirements. There would be chaos, and Nvidia surely know this.

Soldato
Being their top model doesnt mean anything. Logically, if any of their cards are going to need an external psu it'll be the top, most power-hungry, model. I'm not saying they'll choose to do that, i'm saying its not impossible.

Soldato
james.miller said:
Being their top model doesnt mean anything. Logically, if any of their cards are going to need an external psu it'll be the top, most power-hungry, model. I'm not saying they'll choose to do that, i'm saying its not impossible.
G80 won't be a model though, it'll be a core. So far it will supposedly come in 8800GTX and 8800GT flavours, and I doubt both will need an external PSU or it will leave everyone who is anal about power requirements with no options.

I think my other point was much more important though. Nvidia knows that one reason they attract sales away from ATI is because their cards traditionally have a lower power requirement, and I have no doubt they know it would be a huge mistake if they didn't do their darndest to make sure it didn't require that much power.

Soldato
concidering your other thread on the g80 is telling us the top flight model will use a hybrid water cooler to keep it cool, i dont see how you can be so sure. A 700million transistor core and 768mb of gddr4 is a lot to cool and power, and i think its far to early for anybody to be making asumptions.

Soldato
james.miller said:
concidering your other thread on the g80 is telling us the top flight model will use a hybrid water cooler to keep it cool, i dont see how you can be so sure. A 700million transistor core and 768mb of gddr4 is a lot to cool and power, and i think its far to early for anybody to be making asumptions.
Keep in mind it's probably going to be made on 80nm like the Go 7700 though, and this hybrid water cooler just looks like a gimmick to me the same way the Sapphire Blizzard was.

I'm pretty sure a company like Nvidia would definitely prefer not to aggrivate their customers than go all out for a bigger e-penis. Though knowing some Nvidia fanboys I could mention, they would probably have a sudden shift in their views on power consumption and an external PSU would be "okay." ;)

Seriously though, external PSUs would be pointless in this day and age with 1000W+ PSUs with four 12v rails. OCZ have developed a drive-bay mounted graphics PSU but that's intended for quad-SLi systems.

Soldato
external psu is good if it comes with the gfx card. saves having to spend more cash on a whole new psu for the main system. and if an external psu takes the entire load of the gfx card then the pc's internal psu will have a lot more current to spare on the 12v rails and you could slapp in more drives, more fans, more tube lights, etc and still be sitting happy.

Back
Top Bottom