Audi S3 8P

Soldato
What are peoples general thoughts on these?

I am hoping to look at one tomorrow. It is up for £11k but will look to get closer to 10k. It is standard if the description is to be believed and the images look decent. It is a manual 5 door which is what I am looking for. 86k on the clock and is an MY11.

I am looking to sell my Merc (MY16 C250d Estate) and purchase this.

I am only doing, minus some family trips, about 75-100 miles a week max these days and my trip to work is 34 round one day a week, 95% A roads.

Any opinions?

Soldato
OP
Other than the fact it's not slow, this is going to feel like a significant downgrade from your C Class. The C Class is an excellent car with a class leading (at the time) interior and it's reasonably modern. By contrast, the S3 is a quick version of an A3 which first appeared on the road 19 years ago. It will feel every bit like a 20 year old car when you get in, especially compared with your C Class.

You'd need to really, really want the performance it offers to make this a good idea. I don't personally think its quick or special enough to make up for the fact it's just an old Audi A3.

The C Class is just, boring? Its annoying as its not a bad car. It is the W205 AMG Premium Plus for reference. Owned it for 3 years and when I was looking to do 20-30k miles a year it made sense, but now I am just not so looking for a change. I have always liked the S3 and just thought about getting one.

Watch out for chain rattle and high oil consumption. Do a search on here and further afield; there’s quite a bit of information out there.

I had an ‘07 3dr S3 for a year in 2014 and it was fast and solid, but not particularly involving to drive. What do you want from a car?
Surprised it’s commanding so much though! Granted I took mine from 110k to 130k miles in a year and it was an ‘07 3 door, but I paid around £10k for mine 8 years ago :eek:

-edit, I assumed you were coming from a W204. As Fox says, this is a downgrade from a W205. And the C250d isn’t particularly slow either.

Yea I have a W205, so 204bhp and 369ftlb.

What do I want from a car? I want something quicker than I have and fun to drive not just on the way to work and back but general driving. I used to go just for a drive when I had my Primera GT, Celica GT and Accord Type Rs for fun, but tried in my Merc to enjoy a drive and it just doesnt do it. I do want to try 4WD as I have not had one before. My dad has a V70R and brother actually has an S3, but a 3 door or I would ask to by his. It must have 4 doors, fairly quick and manual.

Soldato
OP
To add, I am not worried about it being the latest tech etc. I am not worried about it having SatNav etc as it just will be out of date anyway. Bluetooth for phone helps. I do like my audio, and I am going to miss the Burmiester in the Merc if I am being honest.

Soldato
OP
All above comments are really fair and making me think.

The C Class feels boring as its just not engaging - maybe its the diesel sound, the gearbox....I don't know.

So let me change the question here. If you had 10k, or there abouts, what you wanted 4WD, nippy, engaging, but could take a family (3 people, youngest being 6 and growing fast) what would you think to buy? I am happy with estates, saloons and hatchbacks.

Soldato
OP
I think the biggest problem here is your budget is insufficient to replace a 2016 C Class with anything that isn't fundamentally a worse car once the novelty wears off. In the current car market even ordinary £10k cars are not brilliant, once you start wanting something interesting and fun to drive it becomes even more difficult.

The C Class is worth considerably more than £10k - can you not spend its entire value? That might open up more engaging and interesting cars.

The other problem you've got it is that there isn't often much overlap between cars which are 4WD and cars which are engaging and interesting to drive.

I can probably push to 14k, but as I was going to sell mine to afford this change, I wanted to have a few £k in the bank for any repairs or anything associated with an "older" car. The issue is that I know the car I want (The C43) is really not going to be viable, and when it is, it will be as old relatively speaking to what I am looking at now.

I think I am just fed up the with diesel, a 1st world problem I know. The Merc is a good car, I am not denying it, but I do not find it fun.

Soldato
OP
If you’re only keen on fun, I would be looking at a hot hatch, something like a Fiesta ST, or Focus ST if you need something bigger.

It’s going to be a downgrade in quality, ride, comfort and pretty much everything else, but you will find it more fun.

I’m surprised you don’t find the merc fun - I went from a Fiesta Zetec S, which while not powerful, was immense fun to drive, to a 320d, and I’m still able to have fun on twisty roads up and around the South Downs if I’m in sport.

I have had a look at the Focus ST3s, and they are in price range, but a few friends have had them and I never liked them that much.

Surely the sensible option here would be to remap the Merc and save your money. Now is not the time to be buying second hand.

I looked 2 years ago at a remap but the insurance company I was with did not accept any modifications. I may look again but I am still not getting away from the fact that I do not like the diesel anymore.

Some nice options and was about to call up about that Cupra, but then noticed even though its younger than the S3 I am looking at it has 50k more on the clock already. I admit, I would love a Cupra if I could find one with the right mileage.

Much of this depends on your idea of a fun car. I don’t think anyone ever described an Audi 8P S3 as fun. I had an 8V S3 with 306hp from new and being a much better car, was still fairly boring to drive.

As has been said, your budget is the limiting factor here and you aim to lose much in changing to a much older car design (build quality, ride comfort, reliability, etc) and pick up all the unknown risks associated with an old 2nd hand car.

If you just want more speed, I dare say you could chip the Merc and get a reasonably improvement that would make it more ‘fun’ for minimal outlay.

^ damn, beaten to the punchline lol

What did you not like about your 8V?

I am not overly bothered about an older design of car to be honest, and its not like I am buying a mid-ninties car here with AC as the core selling point. It has, as far as I can see, everything my car has including cameras, satnav, heated seats, SD cards for music and Bose speakers...its far more equipped than my brothers 8P.

I understand the risk, and I do accept your point. I think I have more confidence due to my brothers ownership of his and knowing the issues he has had to face.

The ride in my Merc is nothing to write home about either in my opinion. Having 19" alloys on run flats with AMG suspension does make it rather crashy and solid.

tbh i would keep the C class and spend 1500-2000 on a small hatchback for a bit of B road fund as and when the mood takes you,

early Mini Cooper S alongside the C class might be a good shout or a Fiesta ST150?

as it stands the C class (more so with a remap) will do 95% of what the S3 will do in more comfort

My wife has a MY20 Seat Ibiza manual with 115bhp. It is a right hoot to drive on occasion so I do have access to another car where I can have a bit of rag, but I do respect its my wife's car still. No room for another car either.

Remap the merc cost around £150

take it up to 255bhp

Again I may look into this but I still do not get away from the fact I am bored of the diesel noise all the time. Also, 255bhp is far more than I would get. Looking about on forums (not figures that remappers quote) it seems most get a modest 230-235 maximum. Still 25-30bhp more than standard of course but I am unsure if this would actually make a difference. Generally I find the gearbox a limiting factor when i want a blast. Sometimes it is spot on, but other times it just hesitates and gets it all wrong.

Soldato
OP
What about this?

Yes it doesn't meet my manual requirement, and is actually the same time period as the S3, but the interior does look more "modern" etc.

I am taking everyones opinion onboard by the way and this thread has made me think. I have always liked the S3 and the age doesnt worry me, but I am happy to be corrected. What is amusing me a little is that 10-14k isn't a small amount of cash and I am struggling to find something that works for me.

The Merc has been good to me and my work up until 2 months ago paid for it for me. I actually only paid 15k for the Merc when it was worth 23k at the time due to it being in the family, and as just mentioned work have paid for the car up until now, so if I sell for 14-15k, its actually free money if that makes any sense?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's actually the perfect illustration of my point about the 8P. Despite being the same age as the S3 you're interested in, it's actually a full generation newer than the S3. In my view it's a far better car. I think it looks good, but my concern would be that if a car is something I think I'd want to drive then it's unlikely to hit the fun criteria properly :D It's a powerful automatic saloon/hatch, so it's going to be like driving a faster C class with a better soundtrack. Is that what you want?

You should never think this way - its irrelevant and it leads to poor decision making. £15k is £15k regardless.

Yea I think that's good with me. I mean, I want the c43 which is just a faster version of mine. I think the s5 gets near. I am viewing tomorrow with the old man who is bringing his diagnostic reader. Seller says its just had an mot with no advisories too and he's selling due to upgrading to an rs5.

Soldato
OP
You’ve answered your own question here, keep your existing C-Class until such a time as you can afford what you want not what’s close to your requirement.

Where’s the sense in changing into something you still won’t be 100% happy with? - namely the S5 which in your own words “gets near” - it’s not as if your C is about to go bang nor is it too old to be viable, it owes you little by the sound of things, use that saving on buying it to eventually end up in what you really want, namely the C43.

Sorry I should have said more than "Gets near". I have had a few experiences of S5s (4.2 and 3.0) and I love them, but, I do prefer the visuals of the C Class. Also, there is the consideration that in 2-3 years I may need to go more sensible again as I might be on the road a lot more and that puts any C43 goodness out for even longer.

My plan is to see this car tomorrow and get a good first impression. I have no expectation to purchase on site, but to come away and think. There is a chance that when I get a full look about, a drive, and inspect the condition in person it could be the wrong car.

Soldato
OP
You’ve said nothing there to alter my initial opinion tbh, get the C43 whilst it’s still doable/suitable I’d say. :)

Thats the issue, the C43 is a good £15-20k away from where I am at right now. Even the ones that are the same as mine, so MY14 onwards are still asking £30k starting.

Soldato
OP
Stick with what you have for now then, you said yourself the C43 is just a faster version of yours, ergo, put up with the Diesel engine,because I interpret what you say as the rest of the C class can’t be that bad if performance is the lacking factor,put your money aside, and get what you want when funds allow.

Remember, one of the most expensive parts of car ownership is changing it, especially in an inflated market, in a year or so prices most likely will have returned to non insanity levels and that C43 shouldn’t look so far away from a possibility…

I find the merc not the most comfortable if I am being honest, and yes, the performance is lacking in my opinion. If I could capture the looks and the audio from the merc into a faster car that would be ideal. The only way to do that is the C43 really. Nothing is stopping me having fun with the S5 whilst still saving for a C43.

Just feels like a tuned A3. Quick to 60 but not much else to offer. Pretty dull with horrid Audi "sport" suspension, which is like having no suspension. Understeers badly.

From my limited experience I dont find the Audi S5 suspension that bad actually - at least it never felt worse than the merc. The understeering comment I hear a lot, but also I hear its only an issue when pushing the car hard - something ill rarely do.

Ill see what tomorrow brings. I may just not like the driving of the car itself (power aside) and so just will walk away. What I do know though is that I will be looking to change the merc within the next few months.

Soldato
OP
So...I am picking up on Saturday.

Both my dad and I test drove it and found no issues, and we ran diagnostic too which advised a regas of Aircon but apart from that mechanical sound. Cosmetically it's as advertised bar I will need to remove the rear tints as they have bubbled.

Interior wise it actually shocked me how modern it felt. I wouldn't sat it was 11 years old inside.

So, roll on next Saturday! Thanks for everyone's help btw and thanks for talking me out of the s3. Opinions were appreciated.

Soldato
OP
So, had the S5 for almost a week now and it has impressed me. Obviously it is quicker that my old Merc, but also very thirsty. Right now I am getting 22mpg but I have only, minus 2 quick motorway runs of about 2 miles, been on A roads with a average speed of 26mph due to conditions and traffic.

Some bits that need attention;
- The lights were almost pointing at the floor and it seems the auto dipping has failed, but my brothers S3 and dads V70R have also had this fail and we know the fix. For now I have adjusted them up manually.
- Rear tint needs removing still but this should happen this weekend
- Steering wheel is not dead centre so after I get the wheels off this weekend for a brake check, depending on my thoughts of replacing the brakes, I will get an alignment
- "Return" button on the dash is a little sticky but I can solve this with a clean around the button
- Alloys need a refurb but not a priority
- Rear light on boot has a few LEDs out

All in all though, a great purchase I feel and I can resolve all the above without issue.

As an aside, I do find the B&O audio no where near as good as the Burmister (sp?) in the Merc, but this is a small price really.

Soldato
OP
I am using an SD Card to play from.

I actually think that the sub isn't working - at all... It feels like the fronts are delivering the bass only and that the sub is off. I will need to check tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom