Australia disabled migrant policy

Suspended
This shocked me somewhat. Legal migrants to Australia are being denied visas or told to leave if their children are disabled as they are a burden to the economy. Let’s remember, Australia invites these people in the first place to fill vital skills shortages and once there and working, they have been paying taxes all the time they are there.

If we ordered a legal migrant to leave because their children were disabled and a financial burden, there would be a total meltdown, and rightly so. It all seems very off to me.

Last edited:
Suspended
OP
They're economic migrants.

And there's nothing wrong with that as long as it remains beneficial/ agreeable to both parties (the migrant and the host country).

They knew their visa's weren't guaranteed to be renewed and they went ahead and had a kid abroad anyway.

Australia was entirely correct to decline to renew their visa's.
When you want a child you tend not to consider the repercussions if it’s severely disabled as you will be kicked out of the country. The immigrants here certainly don’t as we’re a compassionate country. The lad would get that medicine in an instant here with no consideration as to cost at all

Suspended
OP
Why should I have 'sympathy' for economic migrants on a visa when their renewal is declined exactly?

They knew, or should have known, the deal when they signed up for a visa to start with.

A foreign country allows you temporary entry to take advantage of preferable work and or other conditions. The flip side of the bargain is you make a positive contribution to the country i.e usually fill a skill gap and not be a net finacial cost to the host nation.

The UK is a joke in this regard and I've seen all to often how our systems are abused by economic migrants.

We need to be more like Australia with regards to immigration policy not moving further away from it
You sound a bit psychopathic to me if I’m being honest

Suspended
OP
Why's that?

A two year old can go to the UK with his British parents and have a perfectly good standard of life.

This is just a sob story because the parents want to stay in OZ but their visa renewals have been declined.
You seem to have a distinct lack of sympathy for the situation of a family with a severely disabled child. They both work, pay taxes, have a home and a happy life and that’s being completely ripped away from them.

We should reject all visa applications from Australians or refuse NHS treatment until the Aus government start playing ball. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander

Suspended
OP
You're just being irrational because your disabled yourself.

The child can have a perfectly adequate standard of 'free' (at the point of service) care in the UK.

They signed up for a deal....that deal was that they were allowed to stay in Australia for a set amout of time with no guarantee that stay would be renewed.
Me being disabled has no effect on how I feel about this, and it’s a bit low and desperate for you to even suggest it.

Back
Top Bottom