Aux-drive-belt tensioner failure!

Associate
So - was 2 minutes away from work. Battery warning light came on. No other symptoms, on the motorway. So as a precuation I turned off all lights and stereo/air con etc.

Come off at next motorway exit - engine overheats as soon as I stop at lights. Power steering dies. Luckily office car park is literally yards from the motorway exit so pull into a space right by the gate. Remove engine cover - as I suspect - drive belt sitting on the undertray - tensioner in bits!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So - should I fix it myself or get it towed to a garage? It's sitting in the office car park at the moment! You can see the tensioner in bits!

EDIT> Car is 2001 E46 318i 1995cc

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah

The only toss up is - car is under warranty. However have to pay £70 to get it towed to garage.

How much will it cost me to do it myself? If it's a lot less than £70 I'll just do it - looks fairly straightforward in the Haynes manual. But I think I might need a whole tensioner/pulley assembly and I can't find anywhere in the UK selling that!

It made no horrible noises at all before breaking! Honestly! I'm normally pretty sensitive to odd noises!

Sam

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom