Average Salary/Good Salary

Associate
What would people consider to be a good salary? Not in the figure sense but in terms of living.

I know that those who live in the South East/London earning 35k are not as well off as people who live in Manchester earning 35k.

John who has 3 kids and a mortgage is not as well off on 35k as a couple with no children earning 35k.

What % of the population earn what? What do you have to earn to be in the top 10%?

Soldato
The official statistics (last time I read them) said that the average income was 23K per year (which is non-sense in my opinion). In terms of a measure of what is "good" well it differs massively on all sorts of things. The private sector will on average pay better than the public but even that has a north south flip. IMO outside of London you cant moan if your on 20K+, in London that grows to 24+.

Outside of London, even being single 20K is absolutely fine. Good would be 25+. In London the cost of living, accomodation costs all mean that you need an extra 5-8K just to make up for those costs IMO.

Last edited:
Associate
The official statistics (last time I read them) said that the average income was 23K per year (which is non-sense in my opinion).
It's like saying most people have more than the average number of feet !

(Average doesn't mean typical).

Soldato
I'm on about £18k before tax living in the centre of Manchester, I seem to cope, I don't have normal expenditures like car tax, insurance etc. nor do I have any travel costs though.

Soldato
The official statistics (last time I read them) said that the average income was 23K per year (which is non-sense in my opinion). In terms of a measure of what is "good" well it differs massively on all sorts of things. The private sector will on average pay better than the public but even that has a north south flip. IMO outside of London you cant moan if your on 20K+, in London that grows to 24+.

Outside of London, even being single 20K is absolutely fine. Good would be 25+. In London the cost of living, accomodation costs all mean that you need an extra 5-8K just to make up for those costs IMO.

Nice to know I am above average already. :p

Public sector can pay well but doesn't extend all the way in IT for the type of job you are doing and the responsibility that you have.

Soldato
Well it all depends, last year I earned 35k working in aberdeen (just below) andhave had another 4k payrise for my 6months but I have taken another job in Newcastle which saves me 12k a yr in living expenses so I am much better off for the moment in Newcastle on similar money to what I am now.

KaHn

Soldato
I'm finding it relatively cheap at the moment, our rent is a steal for the place we're in at least. I'm just generally underpaid as I've only just started... 3 month probationary and all that yada yada..

Good to hear! Hope you get through the probation fella.

Trifid - you're on a forum about buying expensive computer hardware - don't be shocked that your above average, salary wise. For me, I'd be very very happy if every one in the UK was on £23k. Unfortunatley they are not. And moreover those who aren't are clustered together - which causes a lot of the problems we have in the UK in my opinion.

The problem is for each of us on good money - there's a struggling family, that annoyes me, but it's not the point of this forum..... IMO good salary = 20K outside of London

Associate
I live well off £13k may not sound like a lot but I don't generally want for anything.

I live in belfast n ireland.

Dream salary: 20k

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom