AW2723DF - sound query

Soldato
I am looking to upgrade my Dell U2412M to a 27" 1440p screen. Currently it's paired with a Dell AX510 soundbar which is designed to be clipped to some Dell monitors so it's really practical and tidy.

The Asus VG27AQ3A was my first choice, until I saw the Alienware AW2723DF yesterday. I liked the Asus especially for the built-in speakers because I didn't want a separate speaker.

The Alienware has both headphone out and line out ports.
1. What's the difference between the two, and purpose of the line out port? I feel stupid asking but how and why would you run sound via the monitor if you need separate speakers anyway, other than just for the practical aspect of connecting headphones more easily?

Follow-up:
Is this worth £360 over the Asus TUF Vg27aq3a at £219, also considering needing a soundbar also?

Will be used mainly for work almost every day, light gaming a couple of times a week and photo editing every couple of months.

Are you hard of hearing or just genuinely don't care about sound?

The quality of built in speakers is absolutely dire even on top end model monitors that might have them, you'll always be much better off going with separate or headphones.

Are you hard of hearing or just genuinely don't care about sound?

The quality of built in speakers is absolutely dire even on top end model monitors that might have them, you'll always be much better off going with separate or headphones.
Yeah, I'm aware but my pc is rarely source of music and films these days so I ditched proper speakers and sub a few years ago. I use decent headphones when gaming but on some occasions I would still like some sound without headphones on e.g putting a yt video on or something while doing admin.

Yeah, I'm aware but my pc is rarely source of music and films these days so I ditched proper speakers and sub a few years ago. I use decent headphones when gaming but on some occasions I would still like some sound without headphones on e.g putting a yt video on or something while doing admin.

If the consideration is spending a few hundred more for speakers, given what you've said? You could buy the cheaper monitor with a £20 soundbar.

The Dell/Alienware looks like it might be semi-competent with HDR, and appears to be a higher end screen. It really shouldn't come down to speakers given you apparently don't care about audio quality, a soundbar or cheap speakers will give you on par or better compared to anything built in.

Last edited:
If the consideration is spending a few hundred more for speakers, given what you've said? You could buy the cheaper monitor with a £20 soundbar.

The Dell/Alienware looks like it might be semi-competent with HDR, and appears to be a higher end screen. It really shouldn't come down to speakers given you apparently don't care about audio quality, a soundbar or cheap speakers will give you on par or better compared to anything built in.
Not sure I understand the question, but putting sound aside, I can't decide if the alienware is worth the price increase over the Asus on image specs/quality alone.

In any case, I'll be upgrading from a 1080p 8ms 60hz monitor so either will be an improvement.

Last edited:
I am looking to upgrade my Dell U2412M to a 27" 1440p screen. Currently it's paired with a Dell AX510 soundbar which is designed to be clipped to some Dell monitors so it's really practical and tidy.

The Asus VG27AQ3A was my first choice, until I saw the Alienware AW2723DF yesterday. I liked the Asus especially for the built-in speakers because I didn't want a separate speaker.

The Alienware has both headphone out and line out ports.
1. What's the difference between the two, and purpose of the line out port? I feel stupid asking but how and why would you run sound via the monitor if you need separate speakers anyway, other than just for the practical aspect of connecting headphones more easily?
Headphone out is amplified in the monitor and the monitor volume control adjusts it. Line out is not so should go to an amplifier then speakers or headphones. Though you could also just go straight from the PC at that point.

Monitor speakers are convenient for a test setup or just for basic sound that you're not that bothered about the best quality. Myself I have an external headphone DAC for the best surround gaming and for driving headphones with more resistance. I also have a Creative Katana bar/sub for a just playing more general sound.

As for comparing your monitor choice I'm sure the Asus will be a fast bright and colourful IPS gaming monitor. The Alienware has true HDR (Ideally you want HDR600 minimum on IPS/VA monitors)and much better contrast so it may come down to your preference. I have two of the Alienware monitors now so you can see which tech I favour.

Back
Top Bottom