Awful new VR experience with Oculus store

Associate
So I decided to dip my toe into VR today and bought the Rift S. The visual experience has been great but the software experience has really let it down.

Firstly had to disable my VPN (which is set to the UK anyway) so I could download Beat Sabre. Not great but I can live with that.

But now I can't install either of the free games that come with it (Medium and Quill). They both start to download and then just stop for no reason. No message and if I start the download again it just starts from where it left off (eg at 1.27GB/1.32GB for Medium) and just stops again.

I've also turned off Windows Firewall and AV but nothing changed.

Oculus is installed to an SSD seperate from the windows drive which is dedicated to games. It has 90GB of space left

I can see partial files in the Software/Downloads folder and when I restart the download I see a folder created there which is then deleted when the install stops.

Anybody else had this issue before ?

Edit - tried downloading a few other freebies and out of 4 only 1 of them completed. So can't see it being a PC issue

Last edited:
Soldato
Something's gone wrong with the Oculus Install.

It works perfectly fine through a VPN.

My advice would be to download the Oculus software again and reinstall it completely.

You could also contact Oculus Support, they are usually very helpful.

Soldato
I'm downloading the software now for my Rift S arriving tomorrow (DK2 is finally being retired after picking it up dirt cheap last year), its not playing ball at all tonight.

Like you said nice timing,

but they are only a small start up kickstarter company after all. /s

Associate
OP
I'm downloading the software now for my Rift S arriving tomorrow (DK2 is finally being retired after picking it up dirt cheap last year), its not playing ball at all tonight.

Like you said nice timing,

but they are only a small start up kickstarter company after all. /s

I just love how facebook own oculus, instagram, whatsapp and probably others I'm not aware of and yet despite how much money they make they have a single point of failure. Bravo facebook :slowclap

Associate
I just love how facebook own oculus, instagram, whatsapp and probably others I'm not aware of and yet despite how much money they make they have a single point of failure. Bravo facebook :slowclap
Not a FB fan, but these large companies tend to invest a LOT into redundant design for mission-critical systems, but often they're reliant on third parties (external comms networks, cloud processing etc) which they have no control over. They can mitigate against failures to a large degree in most cases, but things can still go wrong and require human intervention to get it working again. And sometimes it's just human failure to monitor the system resources properly (probably the case here).

Soldato
yeah.. oculus have the best in class software and store. im surprised at this thread. normally some issue with an install.

honestly if you are happy to stay in oculus's ecosystem, its just a seemless experience. i kinda regret having the majority of my purchases on steam.
also any oculus first party exclusive will have a free crossbuy title for the quest if its made.

Back
Top Bottom