Backpacks (cabin carry on) - Osprey Porter 46 vs Osprey Farpoint 40

Man of Honour
I'm looking for a new backpack which can be used for occasional travel. It's to carry a laptop and also clothes for short trips. It's essential that it can be used to carry on to a plane cabin. Although they are above my original budget at I'm considering the Osrey Porter 46 or the Osprey Farpoint 40. They both seem to suit my needs and even though they are ~£100 I think I would get a lot of use from them over many years. So it's probably an investment worth making.

I'd be intereste din any opinion of these two backpacks or even anything else similar I should consider (able to take laptops as well as sufficient space for clothes). Initially I was leaning towards the Porter which seems to be more practical and slightly larger. But the Porter is marginally above most EU cabin luggage sizes by a centimeter or two. SoI'm patrticularly interested in peoples experiences carrying it as cabin luggage.

Aside from the need to carry a laptop, carry clothes for several days and be no more expensive than these, it's essential that it can be used as carry on luggage. Gone are the days I'm prepared to carry a suitcase when I can avoid it.

Thanks.

Soldato
I used the Farpoint for a trip to Vietnam for two weeks with a light hand luggage. No issues. I really liked that it opened like a suitcase does but my girlfriend managed with her Porter fine. The both should fit as carry on as we did for some of the internal flights. Depends on the airline though.

Soldato
Initially I was leaning towards the Porter which seems to be more practical and slightly larger. But the Porter is marginally above most EU cabin luggage sizes by a centimeter or two.
it's essential that it can be used as carry on luggage. Gone are the days I'm prepared to carry a suitcase when I can avoid it.

Thanks.

With the above in mind, just get the one that is the required dimensions for carry on flight travel. Don't be one of those people, why not just get a regular carry on type case and put your laptop in a sleeve ?

Man of Honour
OP
The Farpoint is the same dimensions as a carry on case but can be worn as a backpack. It seems that's likely the best way to go. Thanks.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I did buy the Farpoint 40 in the end. It arrived today and is very well made. I'm extremely pleased with it. I went for the M/L size and I'm 5ft 8in if that helps anyone. The size seems great, just like an oversized regular backpack. It'#s obviously too large to commute with but for a weekend or few weeks travel it looks perfect. The volcanic grey is a sort of greeney grey which I really love and compliments the lime green interior nicely. But most importantly it seems well built.

I can't post pictures at the moment but will drop some into the buyers thread later. If anyone else is looking to buy the Farpoint 40 then Trekitt have it reduced from £100 to £78:

http://www.trekitt.co.uk/16213/prod...LnQZip-nDWdrEmWRVc0RnAWBU18db8ncPuhoCJF7w_wcB

Back
Top Bottom