Backup Devices

Bry

Bry

Associate
Hi, after my hard drive almost died last night i realised i should stop putting off my data backup.

the thing is over the years i have amassed a lot of personal data, almsot 1TB worth (home videos, pictures, work related files etc). That i just can't afford to lose

However, backing up and restoring this data to dvd would be low, cumbersome and unreliable.

So i was wondering what would be the best removable backup solution considering my amount of data. I don't really want to spend more than £100 if i can but can stretch up to £200.

Cheers for your help

Associate
I'm no expert on back ups but trying to back up all 1TB of data seem like 2 big a job. I would review what data you've got and try and work out what you really need if you can then get this down to 300 - 400mb range. IF you can do that then i would look at second, probably fifth in your case, hard disk and back up to this. Otherwise look at an external hard disk.

Personally i would use an external disk psychologically you are more likely to use if for back up only. With an internal disk i think there is a risk you just use it for main storage again.

Associate
With that much data that you can't afford to lose your bets bet isn't to backup but to use a RAID system. Basically you'l need to double your hard drive capacity in order to run this but it's the only way I can see to backup ALL of your data.

Also as this will be stored within the PC consider equiping yourself with a UPS/surge protector. If the machine were to spike and shutdown during an operation on the data then it would be likely to damage the drives or at least corrupt the data. As they can be had for very little these days it would be silly to run without one.

Soldato
RAID won't protect against data corruption, accidental deletion or fire&theft.

How much new data is added daily? How much old data is changed daily? Probably not that much. I would suggest archiving data to DVD which would be slow to catch up with the 1TB but once done would not need to be repeated. Then store the DVDs in the garden shed/parents house/work. As for new/changed data backup, use tape. There is no alternative solution as cost effective as tape especially now that DAT drives are so cheap.

Permabanned
I would definitely back up to DVD disc and get an external HardDrive too. Raid is out of the question. You need a separate backup to fall back on. Not sure what software would be best to have a regular back up done every day etc?

Last edited:

Bry

Bry

Associate
OP
The data rarely changes if ever so rebacking up data isnt an issue. Im not to keen on raid mainly due to not having much space left in my case and id prefere an external backup.
The backup really only needs to be done once with just new stuff added later.

Im kinda against dvds as it will take over 200 dvds so again not something im keen on.

What about tape backups? I don't know much about tape, how expensive is the backup device and the media? and what sort of storage capacity can i get ?

Cheers for your help guys i really appreciate it

Permabanned
The ONLY way to backup 1Tb of DATA with the budget you have set (£100-£200) IS with DVD-/+R's!!

A Tape drive and enough tapes to store 1Tb of DATA will cost you nearer £1k than £200 :eek:

If you could push the budget a bit more (£250-£260) then you could get 4 X 250Gb Seagate HD's and back -up your data on them and then keep them off-site.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dell DAT Drive 20-40Gb DDS 4 (OEM) with 5.25" Bezel Black £176.24
(fast: offers 40 GB compressed capacity and a compressed transfer rate of 21.6 GB/hr)
LSI U40SE 68Pin SCSI Controller £40.19
SCSI Cable £15
100 Tapes @£4 each = £400 (two copies of data)

Total: £631

Remember that if you're backing up highly compressed files such as mp3, jpg, mpeg, you will achieve 20GB per tape. If you are backing up a database or office type data, you may get close to 40GB per tape.

Alternatively for higher spec:

Freecom External 36-72GB DDS-GEN5 USB DAT-72e £350
36GB/72GB (compressed) tapes at around £9 each. 60 needed for two copies = £540

Total: £890

USB2 connectivity so easy to hook up and easily portable.

DVD

250 (two copies of each file) Dual-layer DVD = £400

500 (two copies of each file) DVD-R = £100

Last edited:
Associate
ACPCUP said:
I would definitely back up to DVD disc and get an external HardDrive too. Raid is out of the question. You need a separate back to fall back on. Not sure what software would be best to have a regular back up done every day etc?
Not out of the question, RAID is a sensible option to suppliment the backups with important data.

Soldato
i would go out and get 4*250 hdd and then and them in a caddy to back up all data on to then remove them from the site as to not be used for further storage, possibly could be networked to the system (wireless devices capable of this, but increase the costs).

Associate
I do not have your quatity of data but I have 400GB. I use external hard disks connected via a usb cable and I use an Icybox to hold them. It is easy to change the disks in the Icy box flip the lever on the front and slide them in and out. I use Acronis true image to do the back ups. One full backup and then an incremental backup weekly. After the full backup I store the hard disks off site and have just the hard disk for the incremental back up in the icy box. Just to give you some idea the incrementals are about 1 to 2 gb per week. Only way to go for 1) speed and 2) cost. Messing about with tapes is yesterdays idea of fun.

Back
Top Bottom