Bad fan cooling in my pc :(

Associate
https://ibb.co/kXGd3VZ

https://ibb.co/2gCLf2F

https://ibb.co/z2JNvvv

Hey guys so I think I have set up my pc really badly to have it cool sufficiently, my gpu ( i think is overheating)' stock clocks no overclock, full fan rpm'

I'm going to attach some pics and explain what fan is doing what and I would really appreciate it of someone could help me out.

I understand some of my fans are crap and I'm gonna be upgrading them ASAP!

Here are my specs
Case: cougar gemini t
Ram: 16gb 3200 rgb pro corsair
Gpu: 6800xt red dragon
Cpu: 5600x amd
Cpu cooler: h150i elite cappelix pro
Psu: corsair rm750 gold plus
Mobo: b550 gaming plus msi

Top 3 fans are intake
Rear fan exhaust
And h150i are drawing air from outside and exhausting in case.

Basically ill be playing a game, whole pc freezes all gpu clocks and utilisation and cpu utilisation drops for about 20 to 30 seconds and then all comes back and working ( like the pc is cooling down)

Associate
Did I read that correctly? You have the 360mm AIO at the front as intake, the roof fans as intake, and only a single rear fan as exhaust?

If so, then the heat will build up massively as you have way more intake than exhaust, and you will be blowing air warmed by the AIO at your graphics card.

Switch the h150i to the roof as exhaust and leave the front as intake, or at the very least make the roof fans as exhaust.

Man of Honour
Top 3 fans as intakes will be counter productive i would change them to exhaust to get rid of the heat.

The air from the aio is fighting against the air from the top intakes.

Associate
OP
Did I read that correctly? You have the 360mm AIO at the front as intake, the roof fans as intake, and only a single rear fan as exhaust?

If so, then the heat will build up massively as you have way more intake than exhaust, and you will be blowing air warmed by the AIO at your graphics card.

Switch the h150i to the roof as exhaust and leave the front as intake, or at the very least make the roof fans as exhaust.

Thanks for all your replies ! My case won't fit the rad on the roof on the are specs :/

And Lucy are you sure ? I swear the hq50i is blowing air into the case!

Associate
Fair enough - if the rad won't fit in the roof then at least just make the roof fans exhaust, that alone should be a big help.

As for if your h150i is moving air in the right direction, I can't tell for certain from the photo but judging by the corsair logo visible in the middle of the fans, it looks like it might indeed be exhausting air out of the front at the moment. That would explain the CPU temps being high too.

Associate
I'd swap the front fan and the top fan direction.

Currently you've got air being drawn into the case at the top and the front fans exhausting through the rad.

This, your front 3 fans - on your AIO - needs to be switched around so that they are pulling air into the case.

Your top fans, also need to be switched around so they are exhausting hot air out of the case.

Theres another one fan in your picture, a clear one, next to the AIO. I'm not sure what that is doing there so you can get rid of that.

Test after having this setup and report back your temps.

Associate
OP
Fair enough - if the rad won't fit in the roof then at least just make the roof fans exhaust, that alone should be a big help.

As for if your h150i is moving air in the right direction, I can't tell for certain from the photo but judging by the corsair logo visible in the middle of the fans, it looks like it might indeed be exhausting air out of the front at the moment. That would explain the CPU temps being high too.

guys look your gonna hate me, ive just checked them all and theyre not doing what i told you they was, i understand i have wasted your time and apoligise prefusely!

-front rad is definatly drawing air in and exausting into the case
-rear fan is also drawing air into the case and
-the top 3 are my exhausts

Associate
guys look your gonna hate me, ive just checked them all and theyre not doing what i told you they was, i understand i have wasted your time and apoligise prefusely!

Looking at your pictures again. I can 100% confirm, again going by the pictures you uploaded, that it is the complete other way round to what you are saying.

Can you turn your PC off, and take clearer pictures again? Or, for the sake of argument, switch the fans around like i stated in my post earlier and report back temps?

Thanks

Soldato
First rule of case airflow is case only flows as much air as the lesser area airflow of intake and exhaust vents. We cannot move more air out than is moving in / we cannot more more in than is moving out. In your case (no pun) you have 6x intake fans on 6 vents with only 1 rear exhaust fans on vent, so your case can only flow as much air as comes out your 1 exhaust vent.

As others have said, switch top fans to exhaust .. I'm guessing temps will drop several degrees by just unplugging top fans.

Best option is move radiator to top exhaust with front intake.

Caporegime

Unless you've changed it since your pics your front fans are arranged completely the other way round to what you report.

Front fans look to be exhausting out the front. The rear fan is exhaust and the top fans are blowing in.

You have a random fan mount on the mobo tray that is blowing into towards the front rad.

Soldato
front rad is definatly drawing air in and exausting into the case

Put the radiator on top with the fans set to exhaust air outside the case and have intake fans at the front. Get rid of the side and rear fans.

my gpu ( i think is overheating)' stock clocks no overclock, full fan rpm'

What is that card below the GPU? Can you drop it down a slot? That would improve airflow around the GPU.

And treat yourself to some fan grilles / guards to protect yourself should you need to pry in the future:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £15.42 (includes shipping: £3.48)​

Last edited:
Associate
Basically ill be playing a game, whole pc freezes all gpu clocks and utilisation and cpu utilisation drops for about 20 to 30 seconds and then all comes back and working ( like the pc is cooling down)
I will go on a limb and say that this is not cooling related. (although above advices are correct, your fans are set up opposite of what you say in OP, it is not a huge deal)
Could be running out of memory and freezes when going to swap file (check memory use and disk usage while gaming)
Could be some background process doing something HDD heavy (check other process cpu/disk utilisation when freeze occurs)

Soldato
Didn't look at OP pics until now. They look like top fans are intake, rear is exhaust, rad is exhaust.
I say this based on most fans have motor mount braces on exhaust side, not intake side. ;)

Back
Top Bottom