Bag suggestions for travel

Associate
Going to start doing a lot of business travel mainly long hall and looking for probably a backpack to have as my carry on and to use in the day.

Looking for something slim with usb charging, plenty of pockets for tech and water proof.

Looked online and majority of option is on Amazon but they don't look like they would last more than a couple of trips. There is also a lot of backpacks of kickstarter etc but they all seem based in the states.

Your suggestions would be great.

Soldato
Out of interest, why do you need one with USB charging? You could just get a standard bag and put a USB charger in it. Much more options and way more flexible.

Associate
Out of interest, why do you need one with USB charging? You could just get a standard bag and put a USB charger in it. Much more options and way more flexible.

Yes, and quite a few airlines are stipulating that any 'smart' luggage (even carry-on) has to have the battery disconnected/removed anyway - definitely better to stick with a separate USB charger.

Man of Honour
Will you also be taking a suitcase for everything else? Or will this be the only bag you take and must be able to carry lots of non-tech too?

Soldato
Most planes on long haul flights have usb charging built into the seats now, so less requirements for a external power pack.

I was banking on that when I took an A380 to East Asia last year, it said USB ports on all seats.

As it turned out they were broken both ways, looked like someone had tried plugging a chisel into them.

Luckily my z5 Compact lasts for ages.

Caporegime
Going to start doing a lot of business travel mainly long hall and looking for probably a backpack to have as my carry on and to use in the day.

assuming you have hold luggage then this is a pretty decent durable backpack with a laptop compartment:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Face-Borealis-Backpack-available/dp/B01DPK4IPO/

This would a perfect fit for your travels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh595TVbEYw#t=50s

that guy is getting a bit old for this sort of stuff

Caporegime
Kriega rec messenger bag would be perfect.

Kriega stuff is meant for motorbikes I've used it everywhere and abused the hell out of it even crashes with them and theyr e all still rock solid.

Got the us30 (tailpack/massive messenger bag)
R20 comfy as hell back pqck
R30 waterproof back pack but big

Th messenger bag especialy the edc one which has built in extra pockets instead of detachable us5 packs should be id3al for you takes up to a 17inch laptop load s of pockets and rugged as hell

Associate
OP
Gate 8 luggage is fantastic, probably the best carry on and utility luggage I found. I bought the trifold for business travel as I hated checking bags in.

The backpack they do is also very good but was not available when I got mine.

There is usually a discount code about too.

Not cheap but worth every £££

https://gate8-luggage.co.uk/wheeled-backpack-cabin-luggage

I got the same bag and its great, nut fiddly to get the laptop sleeve on an off when I have my heavy laptop in there. Will take a look at their backpacks.

Man of Honour
If it's your only luggage then I would highly recommend the Osprey Porter 46 or Osprey Farpoint 40. The Farpoint in particular is designed to meet the carry on requirements for almost all airlines. It can carry a huge amount and can be carried over the shoulder or as a very large backpack.

If you are also taking hold luggage then a wheeled case like the one above (gate 8) wouldn't be ideal. You can't wheel a suitcase and that sort of 'backpack' at the same time. So you would always wear it as a backpack and then the extra weight of the wheels and frame become a hindrance rather than a benefit. So I would just recommend whatever backpack you can fit your tech into.

Back
Top Bottom