bah... cant reach 3Ghz... any tips ?

Permabanned
heres my pc info:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B590C2A43D8C0E04

cpuz file, nice and easy :)

currently running the HTT @ 800Mhz (4X) but even when i stomp it down to 600 (3X) to give me enough head room, i get a blue screen of death... are my memory timings causing it ?

my temps are fine thanks to the glory of water cooling :cool: but i just cant hit that magical 3Ghz. i was rather hoping for 3.1 to be honest :(

best voltage i can give to the CPU is 1.45 due to a sucky board but surely that should be enough for 3Ghz ...

Soldato
Who says it should do 3ghz? Voltage is fairly low, I have seen opterons that would only do 2.5ghz with more voltage. Mmeory is fine also, so you either need more voltage or the CPU can't do 3ghz.

Permabanned
OP
Raikiri said:
Who says it should do 3ghz? Voltage is fairly low, I have seen opterons that would only do 2.5ghz with more voltage. Mmeory is fine also, so you either need more voltage or the CPU can't do 3ghz.

no one said it could... i just wanted it to :(

Permabanned
OP
Craig321 said:
Honestly, why worry about 50mhz?

because its taunting me... on top of my CPU youl find the words "so near but yet so far"

its not about performance, its about that 3Ghz barrier... ive never had a 3Ghz AMD system :(

Soldato
locutus12 said:
because its taunting me... on top of my CPU youl find the words "so near but yet so far"

its not about performance, its about that 3Ghz barrier... ive never had a 3Ghz AMD system :(

Hehe, I'd probably be the same if I was in to overclocking (will get round to learning about safe overclocking some time :))

Permabanned
OP
Craig321 said:
Hehe, I'd probably be the same if I was in to overclocking (will get round to learning about safe overclocking some time :))

hell if i can figure it out then i assure you its not complicated, and so long as you dont wack your core voltage up you cant really kill anything as if it doesnt like your settings it usually just wont boot :) one CMOS clear later and your back running again.

Soldato
locutus12 said:
hell if i can figure it out then i assure you its not complicated, and so long as you dont wack your core voltage up you cant really kill anything as if it doesnt like your settings it usually just wont boot :) one CMOS clear later and your back running again.

Not really sure on how to do it with my BIOS though, can't find the options and that Ctrl+F1 or Shift+F1 trick to show hidden features doesn't seem to work (is probably a different shortcut).

Might try it sometime and see what I can get out of my 3.0GHZ :)

Permabanned
OP
Craig321 said:
Not really sure on how to do it with my BIOS though, can't find the options and that Ctrl+F1 or Shift+F1 trick to show hidden features doesn't seem to work (is probably a different shortcut).

Might try it sometime and see what I can get out of my 3.0GHZ :)

its always fun to do it just to shave seconds off superPi :D i can encode 4 gig in an hour now, its fantastic :D (used to take 5 hours on my 2800XP)

Soldato
OCing is very easy and regardless of what others may tell you, it is also completely safe.

The only time you are likely to fry a processor is if you ignore your temps or doing something silly like putting 1.7V through ya processor lol.

Most processors can do 1.5V safely on air, and 1.6V and above on more extreme cooling such as water or phase.

As has already been said, there is a good chance your system will be unstable long before you get to the point where you bugger up ya CPU.

SiriusB

Soldato
Think i'll make a new thread asking for some help on it or I'll do some searches for some guides (don't really understand multiplers and stuff).

I didn't think overclocking was as easy & safe as you guys say.

Don't wanna hijack this thread anymore! :p

Permabanned
OP
Craig321 said:
Think i'll make a new thread asking for some help on it or I'll do some searches for some guides (don't really understand multiplers and stuff).

I didn't think overclocking was as easy & safe as you guys say.

Don't wanna hijack this thread anymore! :p

well its easy on AMD that much i know, id love to advise you on Intel but im afraid id burst into flames for blasphemy :rolleyes: (plus i just dont know enough about Intel to advise on the clocking of them) but a threads a good place for you to start finding out :)

"If you post it... They will come..." O_o

Associate
I'll say this, overclocking is nice and easy.

I had my first "proper" go on my old rig, but my board wasn't all that great. On my new rig, its easy, took me a weekend to get it stable at 3.0GHz, now I'm slowing pushing it higher, got it 100% stable at 3.08GHz, and should still be able to get it plenty higher.

If you get good quality components, then overclcoking is pretty easy.

Back
Top Bottom