Bandwidth and some ideas please

Associate
Say I set up a webcam and streamed video to a website, if no one is watching the stream does it still take up my website bandwidth?

My plan is to try to set up a rasberryPi with a webcam attached that will either stream directly to my website so I can view it. Or if thats going to take up loads of bandwidth, make it so the web cam takes a pic every 5 mins or so then uploads it to my site.

Is that do able?

Soldato
Say I set up a webcam and streamed video to a website, if no one is watching the stream does it still take up my website bandwidth?

My plan is to try to set up a rasberryPi with a webcam attached that will either stream directly to my website so I can view it. Or if thats going to take up loads of bandwidth, make it so the web cam takes a pic every 5 mins or so then uploads it to my site.

Is that do able?

Is it for security? not sure on how much bandwidth but it'll depend on a lot of factors, how detailed the video feed, streaming vs pictures.

If it's just for you I am sure that it would be best for you to connect directly to the camera and view it instead of streaming to a website, that way it's only activated when its needed.

Another option would be to use some motion sensor software that takes images every X seconds when it pics up motion until the motion stops. It could then be set to upload the images to either a website, drop box account or save them to a HDD attached to the Pi that you can view when you connect.

I'm looking at build a home security system with mine too so interested in seeing what you do :D

Associate
OP
OK here's my thoughts. At the moment I have a laptop set up pointing at the room where my dog is while im at work. Im then using log me in to remote to my laptop from work and just view the webcam on there. while this set up does what I want it to do.... I can see my dog when I want. Its not ideal... so the thought of getting a pi and webcam set up and doing something similar.

Associate
OP
Cheers dude,

Will have a look at that later but yeah that looks like what I am after.
Wouldnt mind keeping a eye out on your project to

Back
Top Bottom