Banks: wtf?

Caporegime
I do all my stuff online. Last time I went in to branch was to deposit a cheque about two years ago.

Today however something came up and I needed a bit of savings, which is in TSB. I have no card, I have no internet banking, I just keep chucking some wedge in it for a rainy day. Today it is rainy.

Go to TSB with drivers license, "I I need to transfer some monies pls".

"Soz can only transfer £50 without card"

"Ok, withdraw it then"

"Soz can only withdraw £50 without card"

So I try internet banking in store. Find out username, attempt to reset password, they send me a text with a super special one time code. Except the TSB site doesn't recognise the code that TSB sent me. Many times.

Speak to manager, "has to be done on PC".

"But your mobile site doesn't say that, in fact it even sends me the text messages"

"Has to be done on PC"

"But. Then. Why. Is. The. Mobile. Site. Allowing. Me. To. Get. To. This. Point. ?"

"Dunno. Has to be done on PC"

Get manager.

Manager goes on PC.

"Ok let's reset your internet banking shizzle"

"Great, thanks"

Start process on PC, this time it accepts the code.

"Do you have your activation code?"

"What activation code?"

"Was sent three years or so ago"

"Ah yes I tattooed it on my scrotum just for a day like this"

No. Obviously not. So I walk out in a huff, not able to accessy money. Thing is, given TSB's recent history with screwing everything up I can understand their position. Doesn't make it acceptable that customers have to absorb their incompetence but whatevs.

Plan B:

Draw money out of credit card and suffer the charges.

Go in to wife's bank:

"Hi I wanna deposit monies in to wife's account"

"Do you have an account with us?"

"No"

"Ok you need to deposit in to your own bank and transfer across, we can't take deposits from 3rd parties"

"Wtf?"

"Yeah new thing no banks can do it"

So I ended up having to go to Halifax (which was at least 27 metres down the road ffs) and deposit there and then transfer across.

Other fun facts: the staff at TSB were beyond useless and their branch was barely bigger than a phone booth and would fit in well in the 70s. Santander's branch was well lit, big, spacious, just much better. Halifax too. The staff also were much nicer.

Suffice to say my money is leaving TSB very soon and my account being closed, what a bunch of clowns.

*Coolstarrybra

Caporegime
OP
Bitcoin :p:D:rolleyes::cool:

No need for a "middle man" to access what you own

On a positive/serious note, if you've found it so hard to access your own money at least you know others will find it equally hard if they try to steal it from you :)

I use Starling, cba dealing with these relics of the past.

And yes, I was just saying to my wife that it's probably the safest bit of edge I own if even I can't get to it.

Ah well, at least they get to gamble it for a few more days.

Caporegime
OP
This seems less like a banks problem, and more like a you problem. Expecting to walk in to a bank and have your money across the counter without your card isn't very reasonable. As for the cash over the counter thing, well, I can understand that too, although I was unaware that this had changed. I think most people would see these events as opportunities to learn, and would accept it, as opposed to just ranting and blaming others. I'm sure you could easily have got hold of your money by ordering a new card and waiting, instead of assuming you knew the bank's procedures.

I have always, always, been able to withdraw from every bank I've been with without a card, it's the reason I didn't have one for this account, I didn't think I'd need it. I dunno when they changed all this, but apparently now I can't withdraw from my account with my card & pin. Makes you wonder why they don't just up the limit on ATM withdrawals and stop counter withdrawals altogether.

Caporegime
OP
Hahaha, I found the activation code (and pin and card :rolleyes:,thanks wife) and I still can't log on because apparently I need to contact my sysadmin :D

VvqPYH0.png

How the **** these clowns stay in business is beyond me :D

EDIT: Just to clarify the above, I've tried this on Chrome, FF and IE, none of them work. TSB: Bringing you back to the stone ages.

Caporegime
OP
have to say, having a couple of incidents recently with Natwest I can't praise them enough, both issues were my own fault and they were outstanding in fixing them both very quickly. I also learned I can take money out with just my passport, which was a relief after one of those incidents was losing my wallet and having some pretty large bills to pay the next day.

This is also the case with Barclays, Halifax, Natwest and Santander (and yes, I'm talking from experience here) so why such a basic feature is omitted from TSB is beyond me.

Your first mistake was using TSB.
Your second mistake was being a dirty immigrant.

Correct on both counts. I have teh sads nau :(

Caporegime
OP
Any reason you didn’t use your app in your phone to send money to your wife’s account?

I've never touch this account apart from transferring money to it, it was literally just a rainy day fund. If I'd known that I'd have to thread a needle with a starship to get to it I'd have gone to a better bank, the ones I know which are easy and allow you to withdraw using ID.

Caporegime
OP
To be honest, I would have thought having ID to withdraw money goes hand in hand….I mean, why would you think you can get money out without ID and without your bank card?

You expect getting into your account is like online with username and password?

But yet you don't apply the same tech logic to this account you want to withdraw money from so make sure you can do it online???

Is it me there is a massive contradiction here?

I don't think this is a bank's problem here, the problem here is you not having ID and they have steps to prevent fraud and crime…like needing ID.

No, I did have ID. I didn't just walk in to a bank and go "Hi im diddums can has monies pls" :D

Caporegime
OP
"Unknown Exception".. so the fact that something went wrong.. but they don't know what .. and rather than help they simply report it.

Also "Active" button.. shouldn't that be "Activate"?

Their site is full and I mean full of errors I would expect on some filthy immigrant's blog, I think we should let them sort out the more important stuff first, like how to be a bank.

Back
Top Bottom