Bare LED to illuminate logo in new case

Associate
Hiya

I've swapped cases from Jonsbo UMX4 Windowed to Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed. The logo in the Jonsbo is illuminated by a white acrylic "light panel" approx 25mm x 90mm connected to sata power connector. I replaced the plastic Jonsbo logo with a plastic Quiet PC logo.

I want to put the Quiet PC logo in the Phanteks but I need a light source.

I can't find anything that resembles the Jonsbo light panel so I'm thinking of connecting a white LED to the HDD connector on the motherboard. I've found this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Desktop-Computer-Motherboard-Indicator-27-inch/dp/B09J8MY3CM/ but the LEDs are green and red.

Does anyone know if I can replace the coloured LEDs with a white one or another solution?

I've also found this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285023317126?chn=ps&_ul=GB&mkevt=1&mkcid=28 but it ships from the US

Hope this makes sense

TIA

Ian

Associate
You can get white LED's or tri-colour that can be used to generate white. Are you planning on sticking with the SATA connector to supply power or using something else? Also how far behind the logo pane is the current LED?

You would need to make sure you can find an LED with a sufficiently wide output angle vs the available depth to illuminate what you want or use multiple LED's. You may also want to consider an LED driver as you will get maximum brightness control (and maximum actual).

Associate
OP
Hi Sabr3
Thanks for the reply. The logo pane is about 2mm in front of the light block. Similar to the thickness of a HDD cage

the Quiet PC logo is black plastic 80mm x 120mm but the clear see through logo is about 70mm x 30mm. Not bothered about the SATA connector if I can get a an LED to fit to the HDD mobo connector

Associate
I suggest you take a look at the Kingbright LED catalogue, you'll need to try and find an LED with a sufficiently wide output angle to cover about 39mm from the focal point within the available voltage ramge (2mm plus whatever the LED spec indicates to use) to get enough light output or you can divide that by using multiple LED's.

You will also need to work out whatever balast resistor size you will need.

Edit: corrected the target radius

Last edited:
Associate
Judging by your question you dont know exactly how LEDs work.
Start by finding the white LED you want, based on its spec (voltage and current) you than need to get a suitable resistor to ensure it doesn't blow up after powering (although white ones are harder to do this with). Wire it up correctly and there it is.

Back
Top Bottom