Bargain or waste of time? (HiFi for £20)

Soldato
Some of you may remember a thread by me a while back about upgrading my sound system for about £180. Unfortunately I was tempted by a new monitor so ended up with an Acer widescreen monitor and I kept my old (but quite good) PC speakers. The HiFi amp and speakers (maybe sound card) were forgotten as I enjoyed my new monitor.

Anyway, yesterday I got a text from a mate asking me if I still wanted some Hi Fi seperates for my room. He had a Technics HiFi that was no longer used that he'd sell me for £20!. So I thought, what the hell, it's only £20 - even if it's crap I haven't wasted that much. So I went and got it and here it is:

dsc028177zj.jpg

dsc028211wt.jpg

dsc028193ho.jpg

The biggest surprise: it came with 5 speakers. I don't know all that much about them, but there's 2 big ones, 2 smaller ones and a centre one.

I don't think it can be accurately described as a 'seperates' system because the units are all connected with bespoke ribbon cables.

The condition of the thing isn't great, there are scratches on most things, and one of the small speakers looks like it's been dropped but is definitely repareable.

But one thing's for sure - it sounds a hell of a lot better than my PC speakers. :)

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
The big one on its own goes by your feet and the two little ones go behind you for surround sound.
Cool little set up that goes well on the desk. :)
20 quid is cheap but not as cheap as my system. It's a 5 piece seperate Pioneer jobby with a 2 CD player which was given to me a while back. Coupled with 2 extra speakers that are the size of a telly it sounds great. My mates missus made him get rid of the speakers as they are to big and ugly ( she says lol ) So he gave them to me. :)
Bonus item was the remote although the volume wheel thingy moving on it's own freaks me out a bit. :p

Suspended
malc30 said:
The big one on its own goes by your feet

eeh. If you do that it'll sound terrible. Try and place under/ontop of the monittor. I presume that's the center speaker. Does it come with a subwoofer?

Get some rubber feet for the speakers on the desk also.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
malc30 said:
The big one on its own goes by your feet and the two little ones go behind you for surround sound.
Cool little set up that goes well on the desk. :)
20 quid is cheap but not as cheap as my system. It's a 5 piece seperate Pioneer jobby with a 2 CD player which was given to me a while back. Coupled with 2 extra speakers that are the size of a telly it sounds great. My mates missus made him get rid of the speakers as they are to big and ugly ( she says lol ) So he gave them to me. :)
Bonus item was the remote although the volume wheel thingy moving on it's own freaks me out a bit. :p

I may try and wire up the buggers at some point, might be easier said than done though! Plus the fact that I don't really have room for them!

I got a remote with mine too, need to find some AAA batteries first though. I also can't figure out how to set the date/time on the main unit which is annoying.

I suppose I'd better get a soundcard really to make the most of this now. :cool:

Soldato
OP
squiffy said:
eeh. If you do that it'll sound terrible. Try and place under/ontop of the monittor. I presume that's the center speaker. Does it come with a subwoofer?

Get some rubber feet for the speakers on the desk also.

No subwoofer no, just the 5 main speakers. The speakers already have little rubber feet on them.

Back
Top Bottom