Barriers to iPhone development

Soldato
Looking into this and it seems to the barriers are exceptionally high...

1. You need a Macintosh computer
2. You need to *buy* the iPhone SDK from Apple
3. If you want to use C# you need to *buy* the MonoTouch SDK from Novell. And even then you can't use Visual Studio or even a Windows PC at all to develop on.

You have to wonder how iPhone Apps came to be so popular when the barriers are this high :confused:

Discuss :)

Soldato
OP
1. Ok, yes.
2. You do not need to buy the SDK. You can develop apps to your hearts content without paying a penny. You only need to pay Apple the $99 licence fee if you want to sell your app on the App Store.
3. Well, that's more Novell's issue than Apple's.

The barriers aren't that high, the MacBook and MacBook Pro are now the worlds best selling laptops, selling more of them than any other manufacturer. Not to mention that buying a Mac isn't that expensive anymore, not with the Mac mini and MacBooks.

I read somewhere you had to buy the SDK. If that's false, then fine. That's good.

So assuming I'm not interesting publishing my apps on their App Store. All I need then is a Macintosh and possibly MonoTouch SDK?

What's all this about needing a digital certificate if you want to run your creations on your iPhone?

Back
Top Bottom