base station shaking scene/view

Associate
Base station vive pro 2.0, pimax 8kx.
when I turn on the base station, the image starts shaking slightly, which accelerates motion sickness. The base station is screwed securely and the helmet is on a stable desk, not on head. After disconnecting the base station, the scene stops shaking, i.e. the helmet sensors are OK. The distance of the helmet from the base station is approx. 1.5-2 m.
Is this behavior normal or is the base station defective?
there is effect:

Soldato
Base station vive pro 2.0, pimax 8kx.
when I turn on the base station, the image starts shaking slightly, which accelerates motion sickness. The base station is screwed securely and the helmet is on a stable desk, not on head. After disconnecting the base station, the scene stops shaking, i.e. the helmet sensors are OK. The distance of the helmet from the base station is approx. 1.5-2 m.
Is this behavior normal or is the base station defective?
there is effect:

It may be that you need to mount the base station on a vibration dampening surface if the base station rotor is not properly balanced.

Associate
OP
Thank you for the valuable tip on how to try to deal with this case (if it actually worked). However...
I bought a base station and I still have a week to return it. So my question is:

Is this normal and every base station does this or is it a defect?

I see that many people simply screw it to the wall, which does not dampen vibrations. If it is a defect, please let me know so that I can return it.

"base station rotor is not properly balanced" sounds like it is the defect.

Last edited:
Associate
I have BS1 and Aero. Mine are solid. My base stations aren't even screwed down, they're just loosely perched on some acoustic panels nailed to my wall.

Soldato
Thank you for the valuable tip on how to try to deal with this case (if it actually worked). However...
I bought a base station and I still have a week to return it. So my question is:

Is this normal and every base station does this or is it a defect?

I see that many people simply screw it to the wall, which does not dampen vibrations. If it is a defect, please let me know so that I can return it.

"base station rotor is not properly balanced" sounds like it is the defect.

It appears that this happens in some units and is alleviated by mounting the base station on rubber, cork, matting or anything that will dampen the vibration. It may be worth raising a ticket now to let the seller know that you have this vibration and let them make the call on a return.

Soldato
I've never had this happen with my Index base stations. They're mounted on self-adhesive camera mounts on the walls and have never shifted.

Soldato
Is there a couple of mm of foam on the self adhesive camera mounts?

The adhesive pads are thin foam, but the base stations don't vibrate detectably anyway. I'd say if your base station is vibrating it's possibly faulty and could fail early as it's obviously not balanced (The internals use fast spinning mirrors to move the lasers over your play area).

Associate
OP
The adhesive pads are thin foam, but the base stations don't vibrate detectably anyway. I'd say if your base station is vibrating it's possibly faulty and could fail early as it's obviously not balanced (The internals use fast spinning mirrors to move the lasers over your play area).
Logiccally is the same - if the rotating mechanism is not balanced and shakes the whole thing from side to side, there is an increased risk of looseness or breakage of plastic elements. I tried a ball joint camera mount, this mount has a built in cork damping layer. The station itself has a rubber layer. After assembly, vibrations are not transferred to the cabinet, but the station itself can be felt when touched. The scene still shakes.

I reported the base for return, maybe it would be a good idea to buy a valve index station from Steam. I hope that in the event of a defect it will not be difficult to return it. I have had bad experiences with Pimax at the moment, I hope the valve index will be ok.

Associate
OP
I have BS1 and Aero. Mine are solid. My base stations aren't even screwed down, they're just loosely perched on some acoustic panels nailed to my wall.
looks perfect. i guess helmed tracking by station is enabled... how many stations you use? is it the difference with shaking when use 1 station and 2 stations?

Associate
You can only use 2x base station 1.0. they were both on but the headset was pointing away from one so only seeing 1. I've never seen jitters on either base station.

Back
Top Bottom