Bath hot tap doesn't get as hot as other taps

Caporegime
Hi all

Grateful if you could help me troubleshoot this weird problem I've got please.

Basically, the hot tap for the bath in the main family bathroom only ever gets moderately warm. No other tap in the house has this problem, so I'm fairly sure it's not a boiler problem. The boiler works fine otherwise. The sink in the bathroom gets hot no problem.

It seems to be pointing to a faulty tap mixer, but I don't want to replace it before I'm sure that's the thing. Must be that though, right?

Ps the hot water comes directly from the boiler ie there's no hot water tank.

Last edited:
Caporegime
probably a thermostatic mixer that has possibly failed.
thermostatic only let the water mix to around 40c or something crappy like that though

a lot of them use a crappy wax element that are prone to fail

Last edited:
Man of Honour
As above most likely one of those stupid pre mixing taps, to ensure dumb people don't get burnt and often mix to cold by design.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks guys.

The problem's been there ever since we moved into the house in December. It's hot enough (just) for a bath for the little one, so it's been low down my list of priorities. Looking at getting it sorted now though.

I'll have a look at it and if there's no adjustment or obvious resolution, I'll just replace it with one fro Screwfix.

Caporegime
OP
Just been up to have a look. I don't think there is a thermostatic adjustment:

rTs88tZl.jpg

However I did discover something...when I turn the cold tap very tightly off with all my strength, the hot tap runs very hot as it should. Therefore I'm guessing that I actually have a cold tap problem.

Is this likely to be serviceable, and if so, how? Annoyingly they don't seem to have put isolation taps / valves on the pipes.

Thanks a lot for the help so far!

Soldato
That tap is not a thermostatic type, just a plain bath mixer.

With my boiler, I just switch it off, & turn off the stop c ock for the cold water.

That should stop the hot & cold water to the taps, you can remove the brass part, usually a rubber washer to replace, might be a ceramic disc, but looking at the tap I doubt. Easy job to do yourself.

But, if you have to use so much force, then the tap might need reseating to allow the washer to sit correctly, so it's then cheaper to fit a new mixer tap.

A lot of mixer taps now use a ceramic disc instead of a rubber washer, & only need a quarter turn to turn them fully on.

Last edited:
Soldato
You get more water flow through bath taps than basin ones. If you are using a combination boiler/Geyser then the higher water flow might be overwhelming the boilers ability to bring the water up to the desired temperature.

Try only tuning the tap on slightly so that the water flow is the same as it would be from your other taps. Is the water still cold??

If under these circumstances the water is now hot then you have your problem! you will just have to run the bath slowly. (Or fit a more powerful boiler)

If the water is cold at all flow rates then you have something weird going on! :)

Caporegime
OP
I've found the problem and posted it already ;). The boiler is fine, the kitchen tap chucks out hot water at a hell of a lick. It was the fact that the mixer was drawing in cold water even when closed.

Caporegime
OP
Well I fitted the replacement tap, and I think I need to go cap in hand to orionaut, because I in fact still have the problem that the hot water tap in the bath doesn't produce really hot water until I dial back the flow slightly on the hot tap.

It's the only tap that's served by 22mm pipe in the house as far as I can see, so I think the extra flow is just too much for the boiler, which is a cheapy Ravenheat csi120. So unless there's an actual fault with the boiler, we're just going to put up with it until we can justify a replacement boiler or an unvented cylinder. It still chucks out hot water at a decent lick and the shower off the mixer tap is a million times better than the crappy electric on the wall, so maybe in a few years we'll look at a 50kW Worcester Bosch or something.

I've read about water / water heat exchangers getting gammed up, but tbh with this cold weather, I reckon my boiler just isn't man enough to provide a high enough rise at full flow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom