Bathroom Extraction - Inline out of roof

Soldato
Hi folks,

As part of my bathroom reno I want to put a proper extraction system in. The front windows are road facing so will hopefully be rarely if ever used. Because I have a hipped roof I am proposing a roof venting system out of my 1930s rosemaries.

What vents would you guys recommend? They seem to range from £30 to $outrageous.

So the MF150T arrived..................................

5LKeePP.jpg

I feel this may be quite large for my needs :cry: :cry: :cry:

The MF100 even at its lowest setting pulls 180 m3/hr. It would have cycled the air from your bathroom just over 7 times an hour.

That thing you've bought does 400 m2/hr at its lowest setting so would cycle 14 times per hour.

So yes, well over the top :cry: Do you not read data sheets!
With a username like orifice I thought you'd be commending me for my exemplary albeit over the top suction!

Looks almost identical to the upgraded fan I used. I used insulated 100mm flexi piping, on a fairly long run. With the old fan, I got a lot of damp forming inside the pipe and during the colder months I would get it dripping back into the bathroom through the cieling vent.

The higher power fan and insulated flexi has much reduced this.

I'd recommend mounting it on a cushioned base. I added a couple of layers of carpet underlay below it. Made a huge different to the noise level in the room below.
I think I may be downgrading it to an MF100T lol. But yes point taken, I'll put it on a vibration mat of some description.

Interesting! Didn't know vibration was that bad. In the hold house I had a vented tank that needed a shower pump. I put the pump on a special vibration pad - presumably the same thing can be done.

Hi folks,

Me again - sorry. I have decided to try and vent out of a small gap in the eaves that I didn't realise existed.

A6lEAEk.png

Question ---

I can either hook this up to lighting circuit - but I use Hue, so the switch is typically "on". Are there other methods I should be aware of before I pull the plug on the timed unit? I don't think the Humidistat ones are too reliable are they?

Chaps,

Need to pull the trigger on this but unclear on best approach.

My light is normally always on because I use Hue. Do I just run a separate switch or is that really daft?

I have no doubt they are the best solution, in the same way a nice Rolls Royce would be the best solution for me on long motorway journeys.

Unless there's a specific damp issue in the room, for 99% of people a wall extractor fan or even a window will suffice.

Obviously if an inline is a relatively simple job and isn't much more work than drilling through a wall, then it makes sense. But if there's the need to get a roofer in and get complex with the venting, you have to question if it's really worth the extra outlay.
Na wall extractor or window extractor is like a horse and proper inline extractor is like a car. I don't want to bodge a bit hole into my lovely insulated house that bleeds cold air in.

The roof tiles idea is because I have a hipped roof so no wall.

I've since discovered a nugget of flat eave tho so I'm golden :)

I have hue in both bathrooms and have the extractor fans on their own feed off the lighting circuit and their own switch.
Cheers - just a separate pull cord? I just know I'm going to have to moan at everyone to use it lol. I guess it means you can use the bathroom without the fan out, when that is appropriate.

I think this is the main issue, I’m going to fit a Manrose to the bathroom to replace the crappy ceiling one we have currently but I’d need to replace the hob extractor with a much better fan that could cope with a 5m run.
Check extractor world, I think it says something like 10m is fine for the mf100

Got the vent fitted externally and in the roof of the bathroom:
3wZWdcN.jpg

I have ran out of ducting though. But I have also realised the ducting it came with is pretty naff.

What is the best stuff please?

Got the vent all hooked up and it worked a treat for my first shower/bath. Zero steam.

The thing is LOUD though, have I got this backwards? I put the fan near the bathroom roof. Should I put the fan as far away as I can?

Looking at the vent picture, that is the exact same vent cover I use, but I cut two of them into the roof of our bathroom. I actually modified the vent covers, removing every other ring, which changed the pitch of the airflow noise a lot. Not as visually appealing of course, what happens to the sound when you remove the vent cover?
Interesting thank you -- I will try removing the cover and see what that does!

Back
Top Bottom