Battery charger

Soldato
Optimate 4 I use.

Only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't give a digital readout. Other than that it's been spot on.

Soldato
OP
Hmm well picked up a Oxford Oximiser 900 on the way home and it does nothing. Just sits on 0 volts and 0 amps. Put a multimeter on the battery and it reads just under 12 volts.

Soldato
You've got it attached the right way, yes? :p

It should give you a warning light if anything is wrong, the LCD should light up and indicate if it's on bulk charge/maintain etc.

Soldato
OP
You've got it attached the right way, yes? :p

It should give you a warning light if anything is wrong, the LCD should light up and indicate if it's on bulk charge/maintain etc.

Yup, green light. I even tested the wrong way to see if it warned, which it did. Screen lights up, no mention of what it's doing.

Soldato
Does it have some sort of recovery programme it's running maybe? That's what the Optimates do on a dead battery, they will try pulse recovery or something like that, so it might just be pulsing it?

Soldato
OP
Does it have some sort of recovery programme it's running maybe? That's what the Optimates do on a dead battery, they will try pulse recovery or something like that, so it might just be pulsing it?

It should say on the screen. In the end I took it back and just bought a new battery. The old one was original and had been in the bike for 8 years!

Soldato
CTEK MXS 0.8.

I had two Oxford Oximiser before which killed my batteries. I won't touch anything other than CTEK now, I own a MXS0.8 and MXS5.0 for my bikes, the 5.0 is capable of quick charges and charging bigger batteries - I used it on my car (big battery for a diesel) last year when it was off the road and it was spot on.

Soldato
I have a Gear Gremlin (though it wasn't made by them when I got it years ago) and a maypole A4 battery charger.

I much prefer the maypole, it has a digital read out and can fast, trickle and smart charge the battery. It's also cheap at 23 quid.

Back
Top Bottom