BBC Freeview HD Trial

You need an AVC decoder. Right now, Elecard is the best bet, but you won't get full fps. CoreAVC is much faster, but they don't support the tye of interlacing used yet. They are rushing it out in time for the World Cup though :)

I'm picking it up with my nebula but all i get is sound but no pic

untitled122jb.jpg

Seft said:
You need an AVC decoder. Right now, Elecard is the best bet, but you won't get full fps. CoreAVC is much faster, but they don't support the tye of interlacing used yet. They are rushing it out in time for the World Cup though :)

Oh, what exact Elecard package do i need, there are so many different installs on their site.

Im guessing I cant tune into this channel because I live down south and am not in range?

Lanz - What main viewing software do you use? I have the same card and am using WinDTV but would like to try out other options that have more features!

You have to be in range of crystal palace to get the HD signal.

The main thing i use with the leadtek card is MCE, dont bother with any external programs, im just mucking about with tsreader to try and get this HD channel, but im not having much luck.

Someone said PowerDVD 7 Delux works for decoding the AVC, but i just tired it, and it doesnt.

Has anyone got all the frequency details of this hd test channel handy ? Its abit of a pain having to use Auto search on the compro cards as it wipes all the previously setup channels ;) Hopefully nero or cyberlink h.264 codec will kick in.

Last edited:
MadMatty said:
Has anyone got all the frequency details of this hd test channel handy ? Its abit of a pain having to use Auto search on the compro cards as it wipes all the previously setup channels ;) Hopefully nero or cyberlink h.264 codec will kick in.

If it's a Satellite card: Frequency 10847 mhz, Symbolrate 22000, Polarity vertical.

I can get it at about 2FPS with my Skystar2, DVBviewer GE, AMD4000, 7800GT and 2Gb RAM,

I can only get it to work with the PowerDVD7 Deluxe h264 codec.

Energize said:
Download the ace mega codec pack. If it isnt there, then it doesnt exist :p

Codec packs wont have these codecs, they are very complicated and as far as I know, there are no open source ones, you have to pay for them. Plus, its mad to install codec packs, they just bung up your windows with allsorts of crap you'll never use.

Lanz said:
Codec packs wont have these codecs, they are very complicated and as far as I know, there are no open source ones, you have to pay for them. Plus, its mad to install codec packs, they just bung up your windows with allsorts of crap you'll never use.

Theyre great, all they install is codecs why would there be loads of crap when you choose what you want to install?

They are much better than trawling the net looking for all the codecs you need and downloading quicktime alternative etc all seperatley. Very convienent.

Last edited:
Beause it's useless?

The only codecs you need to watch the majority of video files are

DiVX (decodes most mpeg4 based comrpession files)
3iVX (decodes what divx doesnt)
Matroska lite (for subtitle and mkv decoding)

WinDVD trial (to get the dvd decoder and AC3 filter installed)

nothing else is really needed at all untyil a proper free H264 AVC codec is out.

Maybe you only need those codecs but there are a lot of other file types that people use that those wont work with. And installing trials like you said IS putting crap on the computer, codec packs just have the codec for it.

You didnt even mention ogg. Also Its practically impossible to play hd content in quicktime because its so poor, so you have to use the quicktime alternative and FFD show is THE progam to use to improve playback quality.

Like I said you choose what you install, one download gives you everything you want and more so you dont need to go looking for codecs in the future. Afterall the simplest solutions are always the best.

Anyway I think this has gone OT enough.

Last edited:
I'm not really into codec packs, but that's neither here nor there. The type of interlacing being used (MBAFF) is very exotic. The only codecs that will work are Elecard and Mainconcept (which is rebranded Elecard). The best H264 codec, CoreAVC are currently working as fast as they can to get MBAFF into their codec by the Ninth.

@Lanz you'll need the Elecard MPEG player and the AVC plugin to play captured content. No idea about watching live (you won't get smooth video anyway). Have a look over at avforums.

Why are they using interlacing? I thought the whole idea of hd was to use progressive so we could abandon crappy interlacing, and why is no one getting smooth video?

Back
Top Bottom