BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
What a crock of ****! Theres no way I'm paying sky a penny, this is a very disappointing move.

I hope the FOA or whoever negotiated the move find a massive drop in viewing figures showing them that this sport should remain free to air. As for Europe getting it free, what a joke!

Last edited:
Soldato
Sky wouldn't be too bad if it was on Sky 1 and not sports! Pretty much makes it a subscription based viewing pleasure which is something I don't think F1 has ever been? At least not in my life time!

I'm pretty disappointed that Bernie would sell 2 contracts :/ Sell Sky the rights and yet still make BBC pay millions!!! for barely any of the coverage? Expected, but extremely disappointing for the fans who have been watching over the years.

If I can't find any good live streams over the web I shan't be watching as the Sky subscription is far too high for me to justify the price.

There goes F1 for the next 7 years!

Soldato
Sky will have to use the same TV feed as everyone else won't they? Sure, there will be more supporting fluff, but I thought the actual race was a single feed?

Are the BBC showing the non-live races on a delay in full, or just highlights? If necessary I'll just avoid the result then download in HD.

Man of Honour
I will be looking into this and if it's still free in parts of Europe then I will use my Aldi dish and box again ;)

Then just use radio5live which is bette than BBC commentary anyway.

It's what I had to do for nuburgring 24, use a german feed with English radio.

Soldato
Sky will have to use the same TV feed as everyone else won't they? Sure, there will be more supporting fluff, but I thought the actual race was a single feed?

Are the BBC showing the non-live races on a delay in full, or just highlights? If necessary I'll just avoid the result then download in HD.

From Autosport Article - The BBC will continue to show highlights of the races it is not covering live, and its Radio 5 Live arm will have live commentary on all rounds.

So no it doesn't look like it :(

Blackvault

Associate
So the only thing on TV that i'm actually interested in now buggers off to SKY, great! Thanks F1, not missed a race in years and this is how you screw your fans!

Murdoch & Co will not get a penny from me. Half the races is a joke, its like watching the first half of a movie on BBC and being told, to see the next half you must have SKY!

I wonder if this half races thing is to get around some EU ruling about F1 being on free to air tv?

I'm done with F1!

Caporegime
What's the betting it's Legard and James Allen?

For BBC coverage maybe. Sky have all the money so they'll get whoever they want, which will probably mean Brundle and Coulthard since they appear to be a popular combination.

Gutted at this. I have a Sky subscription (very tempted to cancel it when my contract runs out now) but not Sky Sports. As much as I love F1 I'm not paying an extra £150 a year for it. Knowing Sky they'll probably put half their races on SS1 and the other half on SS2 so it'll be £300 a year. Still at least the BBC have got the Monaco GP :o

Soldato
Oh well. Looks like I will spend more of my weekends outdoors from now on. I'm not paying for a Sky subscription, highlights just aren't the same, and what's the point of only watching half a season?

Bad move. :(

Man of Honour
**** that. What is the point in the BBC showing any of the races?

deuse's idea sounds good to me. I've got Freesat so will look into how to get the Europe FTA and 5Live commentary.

Man of Honour
Well done to the BBC, you've just screwed over the F1 audience.

Highlights only for half the races? Great idea....

I remember A1GP on Sky Sports. The racing was great. The show quality, hosts and commentary team was not. Add to that, as soon as the race finished, jumping to adverts - and they were short races. How will they cope with F1's 90 minute races?

Associate
I hope they pull something outta the bag thats as good as BBC's coverage or better, sounds like they are up for the challenge!

"We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television."

I wish it all stayed with the BBC but at least we aren't going to loose it all.

Just read this too. The BBC will have delayed highlights for the ten races it doesn't air live and will carry commentary on Radio 5Live for all the sessions as they do at present.

http://www.thef1times.com/news/display/04091

Man of Honour
Well done to the BBC, you've just screwed over the F1 audience.

Highlights only for half the races? Great idea....

I remember A1GP on Sky Sports. The racing was great. The show quality, hosts and commentary team was not. Add to that, as soon as the race finished, jumping to adverts - and they were short races. How will they cope with F1's 90 minute races?

To be fair though A1GP is hardly F1. I've found Skys coverage of Nascar in the past to be very good. Before everyone starts making assumptions and declaring the sky (no pun :) ) is falling and it will have adverts in the race and no BBC commentary team, lets just wait and see how it pans out. For all we know it wont have adverts during the race and they will hire the BBC team :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom