1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: BBQ: Charcoal vs Gas

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by Ricochet J, Jun 9, 2018.

?

BBQ-Charcoal or Gas ?

Poll closed Jul 9, 2018.
  1. Charcoal

134 vote(s)
    76.6%
  2. Gas

38 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Don't like BBQ's

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Amp34

Caporegime

That doesn’t really contradict much of what D.P. said...

With a well looked after charcoal grill the benefits can be seen:

When searing (generally a higher temperature can be got), but that’s irrelevant when you’re looking to cook anything else but thin steaks. Many gas bbqs have sear plates to solve this issue

It can impart some smoke flavour when cooking for long periods, a “problem” that can be solved by adding wood chips/lumps of your preferred flavour (which you should be doing with charcoal if you care about smoke flavour anyway).

Tbh this charcoal vs gas thing seems to be a cultural thing anyway. In North America the vast majority of people use gas. I have one friend that uses charcoal on a regular basis and he always adds lumps of wood to impart the flavour he wants. I’m sure DP will have a similar experience. In the UK it’s a much more even balance.

2. Wez1984

Associate

is gas even a bbq?

3. robj20

Sgarrista

Are you asking if a Gas BBQ is a BBQ? Clue its in its name.

4. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

Charcoal, otherwise just a glorified outdoor cooker.

5. the_r_sole

Mobster

similarly charcoal is just a glorified outdoor cooker... the purpose of a bbq is to cook food outdoors, a charcoal bbq is only really a poor mans camp fire anyway....

6. SPG

Soldato

No with a fire you are grilling :)

Unless you build a big lid for your fire.

7. M1k3H

Wise Guy

Agreed. I get the convenience of a gas outdoor cooking apparatus, but if I wanted convenience I would just cook in the oven and eat outside to enjoy the weather.

8. the_r_sole

Mobster

grilling only refers to having a direct heat source from beneath doesn't matter the fuel so they can all be "outdoor grills"

9. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

I said "if you really wanted"... I personally wouldn't, as carrying more than just a grille would defeat the point of cooking on an open fire.

10. robj20

Sgarrista

When i go camping the most basic cooking i do is by taking a cast iron grill plate, placing it over a fire on some stones and use what ever wood i can find. Still tastes the same as cooking it on my gas BBQ at home.

I don't get where people get the idea a BBQ has to be charcoal. You don't have to has a gas oven in your kitchen to have an oven when electric is also an oven.

11. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

Same place they get the idea that a steak must be rare or medium rare, I expect...