Bbq choice?

Caporegime
Looking for a bbq. Keep buying disposables. And just feels wasteful now.

Ideally I want it to be quick.
For example Cook time on disposable one is so fast. Once it's lit and gone down can be done within 20 mins. As there's only two of us it doesn't take long.

Ideallewould be great to be able to have them after work. Which means minimal faff.

So, can a charcoal ever be quick?
Does gas leave the bbq taste? (never had a gas)

Any recommendations?

Again, doesn't have to be big. There's only two of us!

Caporegime
OP
Ah got you, need to look for one with a chimney.
20-30 mins is fine.

Id much prefer charcoal, surely gas can't replicate the dirty smokey taste? Or can it?
Is it feasible for 2 people? I mean,does it get really expensive as you need too much coal?

Gas is a doddle. But I can't get my head round gas being as tasty?

Caporegime
OP
Be great to hear from people who have used both as to if the taste is very different?
Keep reading that gas tastes as good (at best) as charcoal.

Caporegime
OP
A gas barbecue is just the same as the gas grill/ hob you may have in your kitchen except it's outside. It adds nothing to the barbecue experience IMHO.

This is what I thought.

Thanks guys. Seems consensus is charcoal.
I'll have a look around and at that weber one.

Really just want to cook a few burgers in the evening when it's nice. It's nice all the time at the moment!

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
If it's just a few burgers then a Webber Go Anywhere would be good for you, I have one as well as a garden BBQ and it's great for the beach or as a top up to the main BBQ, well made and will last a lifetime.

When it's just us (99 percent of the time) probably do 4 burgers and a couple of (vegan) steaks for gf.

That's it, enough for next day and I'm full. Being portable would be awesome for camping!

Caporegime
OP
That’s all I’ve been doing just a few Burgers, Steak, Corn and Fish for the misses. Earns plenty of brownie points but I still haven’t mastered keeping enough heat in the thing :rolleyes:.

My only gripe apart from the heat thing which is just experience, is it’s quite a pricy way to cook just for the 2 of us, although the flavour makes up for that.

I brought the 46cm Weber kettle when it was on offer early in the year, brought a chimney starter on amazon and few bits job done.

How much charcoal would you say you have to use? If its too expensive might have to rethink

Caporegime
OP
What did you go for in the end?

I didn't in the end.
Looks like summer is over here! :D

Going to look at getting something in the winter when bit less demand.

Good ones are pricey and having some money troubles with corona, new house and gf suddenly on ssp.

When /if things recover ill probably go for charcoal.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
After much faffing and the smell of bbq coming over the fence I think I might go for a gas.
I think the main thing for me is there is mostly only going to be two of us. So coal is just going to be too much faff. I'll probably do it much more regularly if it's quicker too.

Unless coal isn't as slow as it seems.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah nothing like a BBQ over hot coals. But i agree, with just the two of us, i find it a massive faff to set up and cook for just us two. So it only really gets used when we have people round.

Yeah this is the toss up I have.
If I want to just cook a few burgers on a sunny evening after work I doubt I'll use a charcoal. Most people seem to say gas is quick. Charcoal is better but slower.

Caporegime
OP
Got hedge trimmer on one of these long delivery amazon things for basically half price other week. Few days later the delivery time drops by half

Was going to pick a charcoal one up this week so this is ideal!

Back
Top Bottom