Becoming a Category C HGV driver

Soldato
I currently have a bit crappy life and job in retail which I love, but theres no chance of progressing with manager cuts etc, I'm doing work experience in something else which has gone superb until I asked for a reference for my uni application and now it turns out I'm not good enough, show no interest in things, thanks for the free help for the past 5 months, jump higher for your supper. Maybe I can get a good reference out of them and can get in uni, maybe not.

So I'm thinking what else I could have a go at, I remember reading on here the other day the demand for Cat C HGV drivers, is this correct? I've found some posts from Scania and helpimcrap, but they are very old - 2007 and 2008.

I'm over 21 lolz :p I have a full car licence, no points, 1 accident a few years ago which was 100% other party's fault. I'm single, no kids to support etc
I can afford to pay for the test, a grand or two is not a problem. I live in East Cheshire/South East Manchester.

Are Class C drivers in demand? or would this be madness? I understand I pay for a medical with a doctor first, then contact a training centre and began studying the theory test for large vehicles?

I'd be interested in driving something like this->
gerV5sv.jpg
ba538ece-0d2f-4333-87b1-f0e8553dfce9

Is a Cat C licence the right one for this type of truck? Are most trucks auto now, seems everyone takes tests in autos? Found this video -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld2pA1wZAHs too

Thank you for any help or direction :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok I've found TrucknetUK which seems like a nice site, also found a nice test centre who seem to handle everything, costs seem reasonable. I have my medical on Wednesday. I realise experience will be the hurdle and I will likely have to go with agency work first, but everyone has to start somewhere right? :D

They said the trucks are automatic, and if I pass in an auto I can drive a manual, but obviously I would need some extra training with a manual? I'm reading most trucks now are auto, manual ones cost more. It doesn't seem to be like a car where if you pass in an auto you can only drive auto.

I'm excited to be getting started, eyeing all the cat C trucks on the drive to the centre and back lol :D

Soldato
OP
Also looking at student paramedic roles, I'll apply and see what they say, I really enjoy working with the public in retail, and I would need to do the medical and theory tests anyway :E

Soldato
OP
Boss had a turn around a few days later, and was very happy with me and did my reference for uni, so all is good. I'm still in two minds as to which way to go in life though, uni or truck driving/construction lol

Soldato
OP
Just passed my medical, will start studying for the tests now, excited to have some time in a truck with my starter package :D

Also got a uni interview soon :D

Soldato
OP
Yeah who knows, I just put it down to a bad day or sommot crap happening, was all ok a few days later and reference was done leading to uni interview. I'd laugh if at the interview they say bro you have the worst reference ever, Wtf you doing here lolz

Soldato
OP
A negative reference can be given as long as it is factual.
It would end up in court though right? Certainly in my case if the reference had been given on the bad day, well at no point up to that had anything negative been said to me, I had asked often how I was doing, is there anything else I can do or do to improve. All responses were, "you are doing great". I don't know how I would prove that, but I don't know how they would prove the bad reference, it would just be an opinion. I'm doing work experience there, they aren't paying me, if I'm that bad I would have expected to just be told don't come back :E Maybe it's a higher power making me not put all my eggs in one basket if uni doesn't work out lol

Soldato
OP
Lopez it say's they would have to back it up with evidence, which is fine if they had any, there's no problem here.

I got a good reference out of them, I bossed my uni interview, they wanted my mobile number right away to accept me! I have some exams at the moment, I passed one a few weeks ago, I have one on Friday I am revising for now. Life is good, thank you for your interest :)

edit: ow I passed my medical, and will be in a truck in a few weeks :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm with a well regarded (on Trucknetuk) driving school, you learn in an auto and if you like once passing, you can have a go in a manual. Thanks for replying Scania btw!

I know I won't walk into a job, this is more of a back up in case uni for whatever reason doesn't work out. Another string to my bow really. I'm in for a teaser lesson next week for 2 hours, they demo drive, then explain controls and let me have a go somewhere quiet. I 'm excited and a bit nervous obviously!

Soldato
OP
So I absolutely bossed the theory tests, the teaser drive went awesome too. I've not done the lessons and practical yet, and with the cost around £1.5k and not knowing how much money I'll need for uni, truck driving is on the back burner for now.

Uni is going great though, after a 5 min convo with a tutor telling her my history and work exp she hugged me and said we will defo have you! 2 presentations and interview later an unconditional offer was soon sitting on the UCAS website for 2 courses, another uni was full but said I am welcome to apply a year from now, err thanks lol

So i'm off to uni next month, I've spent £400 on books and now have my own library that I am reading. I've also begun work on 2 assignments, and I have another presentation at the end of the first week, though we only find out on what, on the first day, I can't wait to get started :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom