Becoming an Electrician

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Hi Guys,

In January 2024 I'll be receiving some money and fancy taking an electricians course and one that would allow me to sign off my own work and the like.

What I am asking from any Sparks, or anyone that has done one, is who would they recommend and is there anything I should be wary of, before handing over money. Or are there any fast track courses.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

In January 2024 I'll be receiving some money and fancy taking an electricians course and one that would allow me to sign off my own work and the like.

What I am asking from any Sparks, or anyone that has done one, is who would they recommend and is there anything I should be wary of, before handing over money. Or are there any fast track courses.

Cheers

Not that simple really

To be able to sign off your own work you will obviously need get your qualifications plus an nvq and the 2391 inspection and testing qualifications and the18 edition couse

After that you will need to join a scheme nic / napit etc this will involve them coming out to inspect your work and make sure your fully insured etc then you will be able to sign off your work

I'd jump over to Electricians Forums and ask there.

When you say sign off your own work it depends what sort of work. Some work can be done under a minor work certificate, which is easier. Bigger jobs need to be notified, so to avoid getting building control involved you need to be registered with a competent persons scheme. At that point it's really down to what level of qualification they require.

Subbing, I work in cooperate IT and burned out, so i'm thinking of retraining in plumbing or electricity.

I was looking at domestic gas engineering, fitting boilers etc. but you have to keep your quals up to date which sounds expensive.. is the same true with sparkies?

Last edited:
What? In his post he comes accros as it being something that he just does for him self, not as a business, so he will have no income to cover the cost of keeping it upto date

It might have been a joke.

If he's just wiring up his own plugs then he wont need to pay out annually to anybody. I don't.

I've been "electrical" for 13years, albeit military, but got the following:

City & Guilds 2391, 2330, 2396, 18th Edition
Worked as Competent Persons
Worked on HV
Currently 80% towards a BEng Electrical Engineering

Done commercial install and domestic installs....

And I'm still not a "qualified electrician". It really depends what electrical work you want to be doing...

Perhaps some would be better off just answering the questions asked, rather than not what was asked.
Money is not really an issue and this was something I was interested in doing for Myself and perhaps a few other small jobs.

Thank you to all that have replied to My question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom