Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep...

Soldato
A Friend updated their BIOS, the program froze so they restarted the update tool. It say update find but now when they turn on the PC they get a beep per second for 1min + fans come on but no display

Is there anything they can do

Mobo is 2 yrs old

Not that many options really. One is to purchase a replacement BIOS chip from the motherboard manufacturer or off a popular auction site - there are many guys who offer BIOS chips with a pre-flashed BIOS of your choice. Otherwise, you can go the hot-swap BIOS flash route which is a bit dodgy if you're not overly confident but I've done it before many times. Only problem is that you need identical or very similar motherboards to do it.

I have successfully flashed a (seemingly dead) BIOS chip for an Abit IC7-G motherboard with the IC7 BIOS in an Abit IS7 board. Just boot the system up, get it to a point where it's ready to flash the BIOS with the image of your choice, pop the chip out, put the dodgy one in and reflash. If it's an identical board there'll be no problem but if it's a different board then sometimes force parameters are needed - /f for Awdflash for example.

Otherwise, I think the only other option is getting an EEPROM flasher which aren't particularly cheap :)

What motherboard is it? some current boards have the ability to re-flash from a floppy.
If you peel the sticky label off the top of the chip and quote the number on the top of the chip I will see if my Eprom programmer supports it.

Back
Top Bottom