Beer + Fire = Art, functionality and free glasses!

Soldato
I like beer. I like drinking bottled beer from a glass. However, what glass do you select? A pint glass? A dimple glass? A glencairn? A beaker? A chalice? Let's find out!

Umh... Ahleckz, what are you doing?!
90878936.jpg

Take that string, and tie it around your bottle. Double knot that badboy!
26974164.jpg

Remove your loop, and drown that fool in lighter fluid! You should probably do this outside, rather than in your unventilated kitchen.
22718682.jpg

Umh. Ahleckz. Really?
73095446.jpg

Some people just like to watch the World burn...
72533668.jpg

After twisting for about 15 seconds, throw some cold water over the bottle. SNAP.
89950406.jpg

Get sanding boy!
97754975.jpg

Ta'da! A glass, from a bottle! It's not perfect, but it's drinkable and won't cut you. With more sanding, it would be fine but I got bored and wanted a drink. A power sander would be ideal.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was expecting a few pictures of "when the fire-brigade visited Ahleckz's house" with a small video of about 5 trying out the same thing next to a smouldering wreckage.

Instead I am pretty impressed at the first attempt! Got a feeling it might be the thing to try two or three times (maybe after drinking 2 or 3 more beers) to perfect.

May also have try it next weekend with the Latvian beer bottle as that is a good shape (as is the double sized Corona bottle)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Wonder if this works with champagne bottles, always seems a waste to throw some of them away.

Do it

Couple of problems with champagne bottles. Firstly, they are very thick, much more so than beer bottles, so I imagine the string and fuel would burn out before it had heated sufficiently. I suppose, you could do it with multiple strings but it would probably be a PITA.
Secondly, labels on champagne bottles are paper/foil that are stuck on. These would likely melt. The label on the bottle I used is printed onto the bottle.

Permabanned
Seems an awful lot of trouble and risk when you can just get a glass out of the cupboard.

A bit like that moment when you're going on holiday and you think, why bother paying an airline for a seat on a plane, give me 48 hours and I'll knock together my own 777 in the garage.

Soldato
Seems an awful lot of trouble and risk when you can just get a glass out of the cupboard.

A bit like that moment when you're going on holiday and you think, why bother paying an airline for a seat on a plane, give me 48 hours and I'll knock together my own 777 in the garage.

So absolutely nothing like the example you gave then?

Soldato
OP

There is minimal risk in it. You're not melting glass, nor will the glass shatter. The flames last for around 20 seconds, and you're holding the bottle away from the flames. It's as risky as using a gas hob, to be honest.
As long as you make sure there are no sharp edges after sanding then there's no risk there either.

As for it being pointless, and an awful lot of trouble. It took about 15 minutes. I think that's quite reasonable to get a unique, usable, glass. Hell, it would take me longer to go to a shop and buy a glass! I do plan on making a few more, as I think they look pretty good! Much more interesting than a 'normal' glass anyway.

This looks fake.

notsureifsrs.jpg

Soldato
OP
Going to get my hands on a big bottle of something tonight, maybe Corona, and do it with that. The glass that I have from the above is pretty small so would be good to have some big ones. Need to think of other things you could do it with, gives me a good excuse to drink my spirits shelf ;).

Back
Top Bottom