Before I order, could someone check my PC spec?

Nor

Nor

Associate
PC won't be used for gaming, mainly work, photoshop and watching HD videos. I'm keen for the PC to be silent, hence the PSU, case and CPU Cooler.

[edit] spec changed. Total price £473

dtpis.jpg

Last edited:

Nor

Nor

Associate
OP

I like the Zalman products, but wasn't sure if this fitted AM3?

Looks like a good build.

Only thing I'd say is maybe push out an extra £20 for the quad core:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-239-AM&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=1328

Have you conisdered the new Athlon II x4? Quad core for £10 less. Would be better for video encoding and photoshop etc.

Is a Phenom II x4 without L3 cache. Nice.

Cheers lads. Is it a step up despite the loss of cache? Was reading that it wasn't very fast due to the lack of cache. Will the 500W PSU be okay with quad core? I was thinking about upgrading to a faster video card at some point, PSU cope with a 4870 (say) and quad core?

Cheers.

Nor

Nor

Associate
OP
Cheers BigBC. Will go with that HDD.

Bit confused about the CPU, £20 cheaper and faster than the 3core? Is it worth going for the 810 quad if I'm gonna go quad?

Read the reviews of the PSU and reckon I'll stick with the Zalman. I'm pretty anal about noise.

The ram seems to be faster and cheaper than the Corsair stuff I specced. Is it of poorer quality, or is it pretty good stuff?

Thanks for yer advice.

Nor

Nor

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the help. Updated the spec in the top post. Gone for the G.Skill ram BigBC (though the slightly more expensive one).

Thermalite Cooler was just a bit too expensive, so went for the Zalman. Will try out the case fans, and if they're too noisy will order the Sharkoon ones Audigex.

Only thing I'm concerned about is that the PSU is only 500W. I do want to go with Zalman though as the sound of silience is important. Reckon a 500W will cover an upgrade to a 4870?

Nor

Nor

Associate
OP
I'd get the cheapest BeQuiet one on at the minute (PSU). Case i'd change to something like an NZXT Beta, and put the money towards something else. RAM i'd go for the 'blue' ripjaw or the £60 OCZ one. Cooler would be TX-3 probably and MX-3.

Just when I'm getting close to a decision :) I will have a wee look at those components. Why would you go for the blue ram out of interest?

Last edited:

Nor

Nor

Associate
OP
500W will deal with a 4870, and a decent brand 500W will do a 4890 without issues too.
Those Zalman coolers arent quiet unless theyre run on the lowest settings, much louder than an OCZ PSU anyway. So theyre pretty much useless if you want any kind of quiet overclock.

Cheers. Will look at the TX3 Coolermaster, perhaps with the extra fan.

Nor

Nor

Associate
OP
Thanks for everyone's help, just about to order. Going with the BE Quiet PSU super, cheers.

Just one question. The ram I'm getting is 1600. The Asus Motherboard says it does 1600 (OC). Does that mean I have to Oc the motherboard to get it to use the ram?

Nor

Nor

Associate
OP
Cheers mate. How do I tell what speed it's currently running at?

Anyway. I bought the system, built it, and running Windows 7. Runs bloody great :) Would highly recommend that NZXT Hush case, looks great and silent. Zalman 7000 is silent at low revs and barely makes a noise at max. Chip runs about 32C on max revs, 36 on min revs. Be Quiet PSU is very quiet too. (edit, was my Virgin Media box buzzing :))

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom