Beginner-ish in VB

Soldato
Soldato
Yo,

I've been onto VB at school for some time now (about 4 weeks) and am *beginning* to understand basic aspects - what basic tips do you guys have for beginners to make their VB life easier?

Cheers,

Shiv

I imagine a lot of people here will reply with "don't learn VB!" :p

Just keep practising, make little programs yourself outside of school, join some online VB communities and get a grasp of basic concepts like OOP.

Decide on a simple program, learn something new and think "how could I implement that into my program?", sometimes you can't, sometimes it improves it dramatically :)

I love the way 'some time' is 4 weeks - younguns nowadays.:p
VB is pretty cool as a beginner langauge and thats why you do it for GCSE/A level..Are you making the spaceship game or has it changed since my days at school?

Nothing much to add, just learn from the teacher tbh.

Are you using VB.Net, or old-school VB6 (or thereabouts)?

If it's old-school, you're not forced into OO programming, so it would be good to learn some classes.

Also, I'd say enjoy it for it's strengths - UI, RAD, etc. But learn other languages for more advanced programming. C# would be a good step, C++ has diminishing value in the market these days - but if you love coding you really should take a look. Also Java for that matter, but that's another conversation entirely.

Finally, if you're meddling in VB at all, you should take a look at VBA - especially in Excel. A good starting point is recording macros by clicking about in Excel and then taking a look at the generated code. In particular, once you get the hang of it, take a look at calling Web Services/Restful services from Excel and parsing responses.

A lot of good programmers have started with it, too many stayed there. After 4 weeks you haven't even started yet (no offense), so please don't get overwhelmed. Enjoy it, try different things, every now and then try something that you think is difficult. You'll quickly learn the basics.

Back
Top Bottom