Being Made Redundant, Looking To Change Career

Soldato
I found out this week I will be made redundant early into next year. I've been in retail management for the last 20 years, but don't want to stay in retail. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do, but something in tech/programming might be good.

A few years back I learnt the very basics of a few different languages (Java/Android/HTML/PHP/SQL etc) so I guess building on one of these might be a good way to go. Perhaps I'm strange, but I really like working with Databases, so maybe I go into SQL?

Financially I have up to two or three years before I need to definitely work again, so time isn't a huge factor I guess?

I saw someone mention Coursera in a different (similar) thread. Do they provide actual qualifications that companies will recognise and help me find new employment?

Failing this, what other qualifications should I look to do? What other languages would anyone recommend? Is it worth seeking the help of a recruiter?

Thanks for any advice offered :)

Soldato
OP
I think one of our customers once spoke to me about how I could be a project manager in his tech firm... Some good ideas, thanks guys. Keep them coming :)

Depends on the company our place specially hires managers with no IT expertise as they're there to manage and we're there to be the subject experts.

Let me know if they're hiring, my family is in Shropshire :) :p

Soldato
OP
I would learn this on the side right now

Yeah, I have a reasonable understanding. I made a web app for work that uses a MySQL database, but I still get a little confused with Joins and such. Rather than just doing more Udemy courses, do you know what a good established and recognised qualification would be?

I've also never really used API's. Maybe I make myself a project that uses Strava data or something?

Soldato
OP
Decide if you want to be IT management or a technical person

I think the end game would be management, I guess if there's no need to go through the technical aspect, then why bother? In retail I came straight in at management and whilst it would perhaps be better to have worked through all the levels, it certainly didn't hinder me much.

My brother (who works in tech) has suggested if I'm going into management then to check some Udemy courses on Scrum as that's what they use for project management.

Soldato
OP
No point reinventing the wheel if your transferring your management skills to another industry.
I'd echo the suggestions to just transition over to management in another industry.

Yeah thanks, I'm feeling for comfortable with this now. I have a few friends in tech who are also say this. They say a lot of actual coders that move into management, go back to coding as they don't like the management aspect or simply can't do it. In fact, I'm sure something like that happened to my brother.

I guess my next question is about finding a job then (I'm actually getting well ahead of myself, as I'm not redundant for 6 to 8 months and I want to take 4 or 5 months off too... but I like to know my own roadmap I guess) do you just look and apply yourself, or do you go through a recruitment company?

Soldato
OP
A bit of an update...

My notice ends mid April, but from mid Jan I'm no longer in my current role and just needed to provide 'meaningful work' until I leave the business.

Checking through our internal vacancies (back around when I started this thread I guess) I reached out to some of the hiring managers and they directed me to someone in the IT department where I work. I've managed to arrange 3 months working with them as a 'Delivery Lead', which is kinda the same as a Scrum master I think. There is a reasonable chance I might be able to secure it permanently, but I guess that will be down to whether I can get to grips with it quick enough.

An interesting opportunity that I'm rather pleased and excited I've managed to generate.

Soldato
OP
Well... I have some updating to do in this thread!

I started Mid Jan, shadowing an established Delivery Lead. 4 weeks in I kind of took over her role and she focused on her other team. I met with a lot of people, gathering advice, asking for feedback etc. The recruitment drive was coming, I started preparing for an interview (I finished with a 21 page Google Doc full of evidence, ready for any question!).

Bearing in mind this coming Thursday is my last day... Friday morning I had my interview... Friday afternoon I got a phone call offering me the job!!! Super happy! Throw in a 15% pay increase and I think Christmas has come early!

Such a weird journey I've been on. When I originally posted I would say I was 99% sure I would be without a job this summer. Even when I posted in January I was still thinking I only had maybe a 30% chance I might keep a job. And now, here I am! :D

Soldato
OP
I started Mid Jan, shadowing an established Delivery Lead. 4 weeks in I kind of took over her role and she focused on her other team. I met with a lot of people, gathering advice, asking for feedback etc. The recruitment drive was coming, I started preparing for an interview (I finished with a 21 page Google Doc full of evidence, ready for any question!).

Bearing in mind this coming Thursday is my last day... Friday morning I had my interview... Friday afternoon I got a phone call offering me the job!!! Super happy! Throw in a 15% pay increase and I think Christmas has come early!
So, I was officially taken on last year as a 'Junior Delivery Lead' and last month I was interviewed for a 'Senior Delivery Lead' role. There were 7 available and I believe they were interviewing 44 people (internal and external). More prep and my document was now 27 pages long, with a lot of my shop examples replaced with 'digital' examples. I found out this afternoon I was successful :D

I don't think anything will change as I'm already on one of the bigger and more complex teams, so really just means a pay bump :cool:

Back
Top Bottom