BenQ BL3201PH 32" 4k

Associate
Heard some very good things about this monitor. Any idea when it'll surface in the UK? It's $999 in the US.

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...4k-3840x2160-32-matte-ahva-2.html#post1371998

"Aside from 3840x2160 scaling and pixel real-estate management quirks, the BenQ BL3201PH is the best monitor I have reviewed since it has no true flaws. Its lack of gaming related features (high hz, back-light strobing and Sync tech) can't really be criticized since it was not meant to be a gaming monitor. Unlike 30" IPS panels, the BL3201PH's high contrast is not worthless since 30% of the screen is not lost to IPS glow (white glow which appears in the bottom corners and half of 30") while it is on 30" IPS without A-TW polarizers. Its minimal glow and dark matte black bezel enhance the perceived black depth when its brightness is not cranked. The very accurate colour presets, high contrast, dark matte grey bezel and minimal glow provide a contrast-y and vibrant viewing experience which can only be topped by accurate glossy AHVA/IPS/PLS panels. The 3840x2160 resolution and grain+sparkle free matte coating ensures text clarity at sharpness of the large panel, but don't expect the monitor to be vastly sharper than a 27" 1440p monitor since it is not. Its matte coating is not perfect since a tiny bit of haze can be seen when viewing white and light colours, especially when viewed off angle, but the coating is nearly as light as matte coatings can get. Only glossy and Plasma Deposition Coated displays can truly utilize the 3840x2160 resolution to enhance the image clarity and sharpness, but they do not exist yet."

Caporegime
Hmmmm are they just a perfectionist review site? Ive never seen even a tn 4k monitor described as not been sharper than a 27" 1440p monitor and getting a 4k 32" is exactly what i want/expect :(

Caporegime
oh nowhere have i seen ot mentioned about the matt coating and not been as sharp as other 4k screens :(

Might ahve to wait for your review now.

Soldato
oh nowhere have i seen ot mentioned about the matt coating and not been as sharp as other 4k screens :(

Might ahve to wait for your review now.

The reviewer ('NCX') was saying that it has a good matte surface ('grain + sparkle free'). And I agree, it is an excellent matte surface and it is better than I've seen on any other '4K' matte monitor. Smoother than that used on the S34E790C as well, which is already rather decent.

Caporegime
Problem with the guys review u linked to hedgey is that ive read 3 other reviews on the benq and all of them say the contrast is average/poor at around 500 and so it the response time.

Im only considering it cause its the perfect size and nowhere have i every seen ti said it has any back light bleed.

I wish it really was a 1000:1 contrast monitor. :(

Caporegime
in fact make that 6 reviews, highest iver seen is 800:1 and most are 500 to 600.

If it really was like thats guy review i would say its my perfect screen.

Hurry up PCM2!

Soldato
I wish it really was a 1000:1 contrast monitor. :(

It is, slightly above in fact. Measured with a very accurate luminance metre. Unlike the Spyder4 used by KitGuru and perhaps others which is absolute filth at measuring contrast. It is completely inaccurate when it comes to reading low luminance levels which is why I always use a separate device for that.

As for hurrying up the review, tell that to the rest of my life. ;)

Associate
It is, slightly above in fact. Measured with a very accurate luminance metre. Unlike the Spyder4 used by KitGuru and perhaps others which is absolute filth at measuring contrast. It is completely inaccurate when it comes to reading low luminance levels which is why I always use a separate device for that.

As for hurrying up the review, tell that to the rest of my life. ;)

In NCX's review the contrast is below 1000:1.

Bottom-right corner 610:1
Top-left corner 754:1

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/benq-bl3201pt-32-inch-4k-ultra-hd-monitor,review-33147.html

They measure the average contrast at 694:1 calibrated.

Last edited:
Caporegime
We looking at the same thing. Top left corner is 1263 although bottom right is indeed 609.

Most of the screen is over 1000 and quite a few over 1100

He said average calibrated ratio was 1062.

Every other review has had a poor mediocre 600 to 700.

However every review of the ASUS with the same screen puts it well over 1000.

Just odd inconsistent results. How one reviewer can claim it's the best ips screen he's ever reniewed and the others all rate the same things he rave about as average but then still rave about the same asus which costs twice as much.

Last edited:
Soldato
In NCX's review the contrast is below 1000:1.

Bottom-right corner 610:1
Top-left corner 754:1

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/benq-bl3201pt-32-inch-4k-ultra-hd-monitor,review-33147.html

They measure the average contrast at 694:1 calibrated.

As Greebo said, NCX measured an average static contrast in the centre of the screen of ~1000:1. I have as well, with an excellent instrument. ANSI contrast combines uniformity issues with traditional contrast readings, so is highly variable between units and not comparable to standard measurements from other models.

Caporegime
I will say though after readin more Asus reviews the one weak point of this panel seems to be its uniformity.

Quite a shift in brightness and contrast ratio in the bottom corners unless you enable the uniformity feature.

However, I am still happy nobody has mentioned any issues with back light bleed. :D

Soldato
The light colour uniformity of my sample is quite variable. But the dark uniformity is good. You should never rely on readings for dark uniformity, because they are taken from an instrument perfectly perpendicular to the panel. On panels of this type everyone is familiar with 'glow', which obviously affects perceived uniformity beyond any measurements. The AHVA glow on this model is certainly weaker than I'd expect given the panel size, but it is still there.

Caporegime
xpv4tx.jpg

Well loving my b grade one, no idea why it was returned as no backlight bleed or dead pixels.

Its huge :D

Watched a bit of avatar bluray and that was awesome!

Soldato
Really awesome to hear Greebo! I hope you continue to enjoy it.

I'm glad you didn't have to wait for the review. It's going slowly! Very much pre-occupied with other things at the moment.

Oh and it gives you a nice amount of space for all those desktop icons as well! ;)

Back
Top Bottom