BenQ Drives appearing on Xbox 360

Soldato
It seem as if MS are installing BenQ drives in recent Xbox 360 consoles. Those who buy Xbox 360's in around the December 06 manufacturing date range may well get this new drive.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As of Nov. 2006 - M$ has finally got the shipment of the BenQ drives to replace the dropped Toshiba/Hitachi brands. I thought these machines would start appearing in the new production lot just before XMAS'06 or early '07 in time with the new 65nm cpu die also. It looks like M$ has started finally using them, and those owners buying machines in the Dec.'06 mfr. date range may not get a Toshiba MS28 or Hitachi v78 but the new super-quiet BenQ drive based on the Philips design - VAD6038.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

News Source: Eurasia.nu

Soldato
That should please a lot of people. It is somewhat annoying that the DVD-Drive is the loudest part of the console. Now all we need is slightly cooler running chips and we would be sorted.

Soldato
Are they really quieter tho? I personally can't see them being significantly quieter tbh, probably more to do with trying to curb the piracy.

Soldato
OP
Bigsy said:
Are they really quieter tho? I personally can't see them being significantly quieter tbh, probably more to do with trying to curb the piracy.

the BenQ Drives have the same type of flashchip on board which is a SPI Flash eeprom with the MTK1359SE chipset and has been confirmed that it will be just as easy with MTKFLASH, and certainly not as hard to crack as v78 was although i don't condone that you do such a thing

Associate
So when will these new xbox's be in the shops? I'm going to be buying one soon, and a noisy disc drive would annoy me quite bit :o

Last edited:
Caporegime
Fergie said:
So when will these new xbox's be in the shops? I'm going to be buying one soon, and a noisy disc drive would be annoy me quite bit :o

10million other owners would agree with you that the drive is too noisey in it's current state (Although about 2 million are in denial and just keep telling people to turn up their hifi/speakers to compensate!!).

The real con in this "upgrade", if true, is that it speeds up load times. Seems a bit unfair for people who bought the first version. Already they are changing components on what shoudl be a fixed hardware platforrm. I don't mind subtle changes that improve cooling (i.e. the ucpoming 65nm CPU)etc, but this sounds like it gives better performance.

Is this "fair" for the 10 million odd owners? Would there be an outcry if Sony released a "better" component onto newer PS3s and shafted the existing users?

I don't know the answers to these questions.

rp2000

Edit: http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/06/xbox-360-finally-quiets-down-with-brand-new-internal-dvd-drive/

Soldato
sounds good to me, only be good, if i could upgrade or change the disc drive thats in mine. Without voiding the waranty or getting it done professionaly as to not affect the waranty.

Caporegime
Sorry RP, the noise doesn't bother me at all :p

A second or two of load time doesn't either. I've had 18 months of quality gaming and sometimes downright hilarious MP gaming fun while all those that have held off have been waiting.

I certainly don't feel cheated. Wait 3 more years for another version that will be even cooler and quieter again. ;)

Man of Honour
dannyjo22 said:
Sorry RP, the noise doesn't bother me at all :p

A second or two of load time doesn't either. I've had 18 months of quality gaming and sometimes downright hilarious MP gaming fun while all those that have held off have been waiting.

I certainly don't feel cheated. Wait 3 more years for another version that will be even cooler and quieter again. ;)
My feelings exactly, except the noise does bother me at night when I have to keep the volume low.

Permabanned
rp2000 said:
10million other owners would agree with you that the drive is too noisey in it's current state (Although about 2 million are in denial and just keep telling people to turn up their hifi/speakers to compensate!!).

The real con in this "upgrade", if true, is that it speeds up load times. Seems a bit unfair for people who bought the first version. Already they are changing components on what shoudl be a fixed hardware platforrm. I don't mind subtle changes that improve cooling (i.e. the ucpoming 65nm CPU)etc, but this sounds like it gives better performance.

Is this "fair" for the 10 million odd owners? Would there be an outcry if Sony released a "better" component onto newer PS3s and shafted the existing users?

I don't know the answers to these questions.

rp2000

Edit: http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/06/xbox-360-finally-quiets-down-with-brand-new-internal-dvd-drive/

Doesn't bother me at all. The only time I can hear the drive is when the game initially boots up.

Just because you and a few others have an opinion does not mean we all are the same, or in 'denial'

Soldato
The noise doesn't bother me either..

My SKY HD box is pretty 'noisy' if you are that way inclined, but I have to turn the TV off before it become apparant..

My PJ is noisy, and coupled with a not so silent HTPC, even though it is evident in quiet scenes of films, it never bothers me..

There is no denying the 360 emits 'noise'... quite how this 'ruins' the experience is beyond me, other then if you are sat on top of it and have the TV Volume on it's lowest setting..

I also don't feel ripped off or disgruntled that they are 'improving' the performance/quality of new units either.. I'd be more peed off if they had delayed the console for 12-18 months just to appease some fussy sods..

Soldato
Caustic said:
That should please a lot of people. It is somewhat annoying that the DVD-Drive is the loudest part of the console. Now all we need is slightly cooler running chips and we would be sorted.

Nah now all we need is the confindence that a machine will last at least 3 years ;)

Why is everyone so confident the BenQ ones will be quiet when 3 others have not been?

Soldato
JUMPURS said:
Nah now all we need is the confindence that a machine will last at least 3 years ;)

Why is everyone so confident the BenQ ones will be quiet when 3 others have not been?

Because they're out and people are saying they're much quieter.

Re. xbox.com forums and ps3forums.

edit... quote from someone on a ps3forums..

just got one recently in the winter and its extremely quiet. In fact, I was shocked, because all I read about (my favorite was someone who said it sounded like a hover-jet taking off) was how loud they were. Its almost as silent as the PS3, I've never noticed anything from it. I am happy.

Soldato
just got one recently in the winter and its extremely quiet. In fact, I was shocked, because all I read about (my favorite was someone who said it sounded like a hover-jet taking off) was how loud they were. Its almost as silent as the PS3, I've never noticed anything from it. I am happy.
TBH this doesn't mean anything if the person in question hasn't heard a 'noisy' one to compare. He may just have bad hearing or sit 10 foot from his TV.

I find the noise annoying some of the time. If you're playing something slow, tense and quiet like SC : DA it really doesn't help having the drive blurting out such a racket. Also, even though it's much quieter when playing DVDs, it's still too loud for the quiet bits in films. If you've got an expensive AV setup, you don't want the sound of your speakers ruined by the din the 360 makes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom