BenQ EW2430

Associate
Hello,

In a few days, I am going to order and build my first desktop. The aim is to play games such as SOTS 2, City Sims, Skyrim, Civ5 etc, as well as use for working from Home (MS Office etc) and internet browsing. Also watch the occasional episode.

I have been wondering what screen I should buy, and I have identified the EW2430. I like the looks, and on paper it looks great. Yet, further investigation uncovered that the previous model (2420) was/is plagued by QC problems and quality intervariability.

Since the 2430 has been out for a few months now, what do people think about? Has BenQ resolved/reduced the Lotto Quality?

Is there another good model, spec and actual usage wise below 180 pounds? Not interested in TN panels as I would like good colour and viewing angles.

Associate
OP
Just a small update.:

Bought this monitor 1 week ago.

Excellent Colour reproduction (compared to a TN).

No issues with the games I like playing (Civs, Sword of the stars, Stronghold, Anno etc).

No dead pixels and the background lighting is pretty good. Not too dim as some reviewers have reported.

In addition, I have not noticed any backlight bleeding either.

Text and Excel Spreadsheets (yack; this is a tool a cannot live professionally without, no matter how much I wish I could) also crisp and not a pain to read at all.

I have not used the USB or the Speakers yet, so I cannot comment on those.

All in all, I am quite happy with the monitor. Much better than the one I had. I can only wish it was 1200 instead of 1080, but that is not a disadvantage in my books. For the price I paid, I believe that I made the best possible choice.

BTW, the main function for this monitor for me is for work (MS Office, Project, Autocad, SAP) and for gaming. I am not into Crysis and that kind of games, though, so I cannot report response times for such games.

Soldato
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this Belisareus. Sorry I missed your first post - the EW2430 is a monitor I'm quite fond of but I'm trying to get an idea of how inter-unit variability can affect its performance. And also how suitable different people find it as far as 'gaming' is concerned. It's a monitor people often have a keen eye or two on due to the price, performance and aesthetics but it is often difficult to recommend outright due to the slow pixel response times and possible variability issues.

What was your previous monitor, out of interest?

Associate
OP
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this Belisareus. Sorry I missed your first post - the EW2430 is a monitor I'm quite fond of but I'm trying to get an idea of how inter-unit variability can affect its performance. And also how suitable different people find it as far as 'gaming' is concerned. It's a monitor people often have a keen eye or two on due to the price, performance and aesthetics but it is often difficult to recommend outright due to the slow pixel response times and possible variability issues.

What was your previous monitor, out of interest?

Hello PCM2,

I agree; I have been reading about the inter variability issues with EW2420 and that made me apprehensive. Nevertheless, I decided to risk it as I was not willing to go for a TN, nor was I keen on paying premiums for IPS monitors, most of which are good once you double my desired budget.

I had two monitors actually; an LG Flatron W2246 and a 22" Fujitsu (cant recall the designation). They were ok for me for years, but I was not the biggest fan. In addition, I have worked on a number of flat monitors (work induced international nomad...), below, at and above 24".

In terms of response times, as I mentioned, I am not keen on the likes of Crysis. I have the card for it (580) but as a genre, they do not appeal to me.
I can report that I did not notice any issues with Oblivion, Morrowind or SotS, or with DVD based movies.

You mentioned aesthetics, and I have to agree, that I am quite taken by it. I do not ever recall bothering about how my screen or my chasis look, but I admit I was quite pleased with the looks of this unit. t does make it look as a more expensive monitor, and in its dual colour pallet, it goes well with my preferences for industrial, clean cut, understated looks (or perhaps not according to some).

Back
Top Bottom