BenQ G2420HDBL (LED Backlit) or BenQ G2420HD

Associate
Hi all

I have asked for my other thread to be closed as I have decided on buying a new monitor. Seriously considering the two in title and they are both roughly the same price. They are both HD 1920*1080, 5ms, 24",

The 'HDBL' LED Backlit:

Pros - LED Backlit

Cons - No HDCP, no HDMI port, no AMA technology

The 'HD' non-LED Backlit:

Pros - HDCP, 1x HDMI port, AMA technology

Cons - No LED backlighting technology

I hope its clear to see the dilemma here, so just one simple question, is having LED Backlighting worth it over other functionality, for anyone whos own a LED monitor, are they that much better over a standard monitor to warrant no HDMI etc?

Your opinions are much appreciated

Associate
OP
Hmm yeah, I think I am getting hung up too much on HDMI. I will at this present moment in time purely be using it for the PC, connected via DVI-D with my gfx card.

I do not actually own any HDMI devices presently so the need for a HDMI port is not necessary, I am just fretting about 'future proofing', and the thought that one day I *might* buy a PS3. Also from as far as I can tell I do not need HDCP compliance for solely pc use (somebody correct me if I am wrong?) and finally the AMA is a small technology I could probably live without, it just prevents so much ghosting as far as I can tell, but with 2/5ms this is not so much a problem anyway.

Hmmmm I think im selling the LED backlit monitor to myself, but argh I am still not sure :(

Associate
OP
Yeah no HDMI is not a big deal really, the monitor is £150, if I ever need it I can like you say get another or just sell and upgrade.

My finger is hovering over the buy button, just waiting to see if theres any more comments on the LED technology or about this monitor in general.

Associate
OP
Hey FiXiT,

Very interesting about the HDCP, I may be going blind though but can't seem to see it on their website! Link is here http://benq.co.uk/products/LCD/index.cfm/page/specifications/product/1157

If it does have HDCP then it is great news for the PS3 etc, as far as I am aware there is little to no difference in imagine quality between pure HDMI and HDMI/DVI-D adaptors, I believe they are exactely the same except HDMI is able to carry more 'data' and also carrys audio. As far as the data is concerned, at this present moment in time DVI-D is able to carry all the data from a PS3/PC etc, I just think HDMI gives more headroom for the future.

Only problem though with using a PS3 through DVI-D is that you would have to output the PS3 sound through USB? Not a big issue though, and as I say at this moment in time I will be buying the monitor for pc use only

Do let us know what you think of the monitor, will be great :)

Associate
OP
Oops must have missed that, it just didnt list it in the specifications page you see, but it did for the non-led version! Did not know that about the PS3, the LED version is becoming more and more tempting now

Associate
OP
Fixit, thanks for the review, sounds like it is a good monitor considering the price then. I think I am going to go for it!

Back
Top Bottom