BenQ XL2730Z Freesync Owners Thread

Associate
OP
Doing some great work on this thread Scramz :) I don't have the BenQ yet, but it's on my shortlist, so I am following developments here closely and it seems like you are finding simple solutions for every problem so far. Good job!!

Hopefully there will be fixes in the next driver updates. Glad I can help however little it is.

Ahh cheers for the pic mate...I was reading it wrong its actually 61 mm cheers

Keep in mind that the monitor is on my own monitor arm and not the stand it come with. I would love to have use the stand that come with the monitor as it is lovely. I cant use it as my desk is too small.

Caporegime
I wanna hang it on this wall...

IMG_0584_zpsenh0fvga.jpg

IMG_0585_zps2ojcxgmx.jpg

Caporegime
My 24" Dell has been a great monitor..and I do so want to upgrade...I think I'll wait until my birthday beginning of April to see if anything else arrives... If not I'll get this BENQ :)

Ive had this Dell for long enough a few more weeks won't hurt...Seeing the pics makes me want to order though! lol :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I am 100% happy with the purchase, as Ayahuasca said, I cant see it dropping that much in price, when you look at the monitor market I don't see much room for it to drop.

I was playing some games today and some was averaging 40-70 FPS on max settings which was getting me very excited for Freesync. If Freesync is going to live up to expectation then this monitor will be a fantastic buy.

£500 is a lot of money for a monitor, but its either buy it now or wait 4-5 months to drop to save £50-60 (That's if it even drops). I rather front the £50-60 and get more use out of it.

Associate
Cheers for the guide on 144hz Scramz. I used the tool to set it at 143 but Dying light and other games still wont run. And thanks for the specs you used to set up the monitor, I have been searching for settings but came up empty.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the guide on 144hz Scramz. I used the tool to set it at 143 but Dying light and other games still wont run. And thanks for the specs you used to set up the monitor, I have been searching for settings but came up empty.

Strange, make sure you have it fully running on 144hz by checking Here. I found when i first made the changes it would put it back to 120hz some times.

This fixed my flickering on full windowed games.

Associate
See I could run it at 1440p but only windowed and if I set the refresh to 120hz, full screen was a flicker disco. Everything else runs ok but when I said I used the tool, it was before I found this post, Im at work now so Ill test when I go home.

Associate
OP
See I could run it at 1440p but only windowed and if I set the refresh to 120hz, full screen was a flicker disco. Everything else runs ok but when I said I used the tool, it was before I found this post, Im at work now so Ill test when I go home.

Let us know how you get on, as i said it fixed all flickering issues for me and my monitor is running at 1440p 144hz and in full screen too. Before the patch it was flicker on 120hz in full screen.

Make sure you also apply the ATI/AMD Pixel patch first.

Associate
Let us know how you get on, as i said it fixed all flickering issues for me and my monitor is running at 1440p 144hz and in full screen too. Before the patch it was flicker on 120hz in full screen.

Make sure you also apply the ATI/AMD Pixel patch first.

Will do, Ill update when Im home. What does the patch actually do?

Associate
Right done it thanks Scramz, gonna calibrate it now with those settings you posted earlier.

Question, how come when I enable blur reduction, it lowers the brightness?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm not sure on exact specifics but it's something to do with how the blur reduction technology works.

It's just been confirmed that blur reduction won't work with freesync but I had sort of already guessed this due to the ROG Swift being the same. I don't think the 2 technologies can work together correctly.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure on exact specifics but it's something to do with how the blur reduction technology works.

It's just been confirmed that blur reduction won't work with freesync but I had sort of already guessed this due to the ROG Swift being the same. I don't think the 2 technologies can work together correctly.

blur reduction involves strobing the backlight on and off and so the luminance/brightness is reduced as a result. That's the same on all blur reduction technologies whether it's "hacked" lightboost, Blur Reduction, Turbo 240, ULMB etc. see this review for an idea of how blur reduction functions and what the settings do: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_xl2720z.htm

In regards to it not working with FreeSync, thats because FreeSync is dynamically controlling the refresh rate of the screen whereas blur reduction works at a fixed refresh rate/strobe timing. G-sync is the same with ULMB mode on those screens as well. so it's one of the other, certainly at the moment

Associate
Picked one of these up today and it's stellar, was going for a Xl2430 but could not leave the shop without this .:eek:
Next to IPS panel in the shop and i think it just comes down to viewing angles .
It will take a bit of time to get the set up right but what fun we will have .:D

Back
Top Bottom