• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

best 4k gpu for gaming £1000

Soldato
atm looks like it will be a tossup between a 7900xtx and a 4080 super (upgrading from a 3080 10gb)

gaming on a 4k 144hz display i'm inclined to just go 7900xtx as i'm arleady running a ryzen 7000 series cpu

no fanboyism here i couldnt care if my gpu is red/green or even blue(maybe in years to come) just looking for thoughts and opinions on what option would give the best bang for buck

Think the 7900xtx is faster in most titles when it comes to raw performance. The 4080 super is somewhere between 0-5% faster than the OG 4080 but there's no reviews yet so can't say for sure, just looking at raw numbers alone.

If you care about Raytracing then the 4080 super for under 1k (assuming you go for the Founders Edition, AIB's will be more.. maybe quite abit more tbh).

The Nvidia card covers more feature, and those features are of a higher quality, but if those don't matter for your use case then go with the 7900XTX.

My thought is that, given the 4090 is only just good enough for 4K, you'd likely be using an upscaler for other cards (depends on the title), in which case I'd want the best/most consistent option i.e. DLSS.

Vs the 7900xtx, the 4080 is good at Ray Tracing, Power efficiency and upscaling image quality (DLSS).

However going by this forum's polls in the past year, more than half the forum posters do not care for these features. Yet Steam Hardware Survey would suggest over twice the number of 4080s have been sold to gamers even at the previously completely terrible £1200 price.
So maybe others do.

Does Excel support DLSS? :D:D:D

joking aside i'm a fairweather gamer atm its FM2024 and cities skylines, and yes the 3080 is perfectly capable of managing the odd bit of Hitman 3 or Forza if i dip my toe in but who doesnt like shiny new things

I'd also say hold out for the 50xx series, hopefully around autumn. It's just a bad time to upgrade a GPU as we are at the end of the 2 year cycle. Plus, either choice is a compromise: 4080Super is VRAM limited and 7900xtx has enough VRAM, but is ray tracing limited... Otherwise, I'd go for 4080Super (ray tracing and DLSS are worth it imo) and be prepared to upgrade as for some games 16GB VRAM is already pushing it.

Last edited:
I went 3080>79XTX early last year, reason being no matter how good DLSS* is, after my 3070 and 3080 vram experiences-£1000 for just 16Gb of Vram no thanks.

However, can see th 79XTX dropping to £850 maybe £800 when the super launches.

Also, the 50 series will prob launch roundabout October so the Supers may be short lived.

Agreed about no fanboyism, just the best card possible! I had both the XTX and 4080 and decided to keep the 80, only because I found the software/hardware features to be more rounded and well done (FSR is crap in comparison to DLSS!).

The XTX is prob a touch faster in most stuff than the 4080 but generally it's pretty even, I don't think you can go wrong with either tbh. Wait for the new 4080 Super reviews to drop as all the benchmarks and comparisons will be up to date :)

Last edited:
Also, the 50 series will prob launch roundabout October so the Supers may be short lived.
I can’t see the 5000 series launching until next year personally. The original 4000 series are still selling well so why refresh them if they’re just going to be replaced less than a year later?

I can’t see the 5000 series launching until next year personally. The original 4000 series are still selling well so why refresh them if they’re just going to be replaced less than a year later?
The 40 series is not selling well, that's the whole point of the refresh.

Jensen also said on camera the 40 series wasn't launching about 4 weeks before it launched.

The 40 series is not selling well, that's the whole point of the refresh.

Jensen also said on camera the 40 series wasn't launching about 4 weeks before it launched.

Indeed. He’s hardy likely to say stop buying the 40 series cards as the 50 series are imminent, even when they are.

Still think we’re looking at Sept/Oct as per usual for the 50 series.

I'm in the same boat although I play at a 3440 x 1440 (so not limited by vram as much). For me it will be sell the 3080 for £300ish and then only get a 4080 Super FE if they're easy enough to get, then it will be £650 for a substantial upgrade (going to see if I can get hold of the FE first before selling). If you wait until the 50 series (regardless of weather or not it's this year or next) the 3080 will drop in price even more so you'll get less for it. There's also no telling how much the 50 series is going to cost? If it's ridiculously good and well priced you could always sell the newer card and upgrade again. That's my thinking anyway.

Edit: I also only paid £650 for my 3080 when it was released, if I would have been amongst those who paid over £1k, I'd be waiting for the 50 series :cry:

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat although I play at a 3440 x 1440 (so not limited by vram as much). For me it will be sell the 3080 for £300ish and then only get a 4080 Super FE if they're easy enough to get, then it will be £650 for a substantial upgrade (going to see if I can get hold of the FE first before selling). If you wait until the 50 series (regardless of weather or not it's this year or next) the 3080 will drop in price even more so you'll get less for it. There's also no telling how much the 50 series is going to cost? If it's ridiculously good and well priced you could always sell the newer card and upgrade again. That's my thinking anyway.

Edit: I also only paid £650 for my 3080 when it was released, if I would have been amongst those who paid over £1k, I'd be waiting for the 50 series :cry:
If you wait for the 5080, you only lose £650 assuming worst case that you can't sell the 3080, whereas if you sell the 3080 and sell the 4080S you'll likely be worse off.

Obviously depends on how the 4080S resale holds up, which will likely be determined by how strong the 5XXX series cards are. I mean we're talking maybe £100-200 difference at the end of the day.

I'm tempted to get the 4080S but it really isn't a significant upgrade at 1440p, for me. I'll see which OLED monitor I end up getting.

Agreed about no fanboyism, just the best card possible! I had both the XTX and 4080 and decided to keep the 80, only because I found the software/hardware features to be more rounded and well done (FSR is crap in comparison to DLSS!).

The XTX is prob a touch faster in most stuff than the 4080 but generally it's pretty even, I don't think you can go wrong with either tbh. Wait for the new 4080 Super reviews to drop as all the benchmarks and comparisons will be up to date :)
Can I ask how often you needed to use FSR with the XTX? I have literally never used it with mine, at all. The card has more than enough legs to not need it.

Back
Top Bottom