best (affordable) desktop for editing video

Associate
Hi - I'm looking for a desktop tower/box (am told they are more powerful and cheaper than a laptop) to replace my 12 year old macbook pro. I am fed up with macs and the constant updating, lack of ports etc etc. I want another computer to last another 12 years!

I think I'm gonna cross over to something that's not a mac. I have a screen, a mouse and a keyboard...I not just need the thing that makes it all work.

I am so out of touch with what's what I'd love some advice - my main aim is to edit some 4k footage I have on a hard drive - so anything that's not too expensive or bulky that could do this would be excellent.

Then....do I need to buy a load of software to go on it or do PCs come with video editing software these days?!

Apologies for my ignorance - thank you in advance!!

Ah okay - thank you so much for this info. I was really hoping to escape the mac world (I don't like their ethics as a company) but may have to admit defeat ....is there no PC equivalent to a mac mini I wonder?

ONe more stupid quesiton - when you say 16GB do you mean 8core ram and 8 cpu or just 16GB ram (apologies for my ignorance!)

RAM, do it when you spec it out, none of the internals are upgradable. The SSD size isn’t as important as it has thunderbolt but max ram for future proofing. The M1 chip for the Mac mini only has 1 type.

Back
Top Bottom