Best all round linux distro for an O/S

Soldato
I have a spare laptop in which i want to stick a linux distro on, im using it for standard browsing, downloading, doing work and i want a good linux distro to replace my windows O/S

What shall i go for?

Soldato
OP
Its a p3 700mhz, 128mb ram soon to be 256mb, 40gb hdd

I cant seem to install ubuntu, i got the iso bootable cd but i think it boots from the cd rather than installing it.

Man of Honour
Soldato
The normal installation CD is a live CD; it'll boot to a full desktop OS then let you install from there. If you find that that doesn't work correctly you can use the traditional text installer with the "alternative" version.

I run 6.06 LTS on a similar system. It works fairly well but if I had to reinstall I'd use Xubuntu instead.

Soldato
OP
BillytheImpaler said:
The normal installation CD is a live CD; it'll boot to a full desktop OS then let you install from there. If you find that that doesn't work correctly you can use the traditional text installer with the "alternative" version.

I run 6.06 LTS on a similar system. It works fairly well but if I had to reinstall I'd use Xubuntu instead.

How long does it take to boot up the live cd?

Seems to be taking a long time, i can move the mouse around on salmon pink background, the hdd is still going and the cd is still going after about 10 mins...

Man of Honour
Soldato
Back
Top Bottom