Best and worst Flights

Associate
Seeing as everyone is talking about holidays, what's everyones view on your best / worst flight?

Best: United Airlines Washington to Boston - Back in my public school days, we wen't on a sking trip to America. After a god awful 8 hour flight where I was nearly arrested after I got off the plane because I dared defy the cabin crew by going to the loo after 4 hours of seatbelt sign. We hopped on very small commuter plane (Might have been a CRJ200) and had the whole thing to ourseleves with the nicest air hostess ever. It was one of the most entertaining flights ever.

Worst: Monarch Airlines: London to Sri Lanka - Instead of going for the amazing Sri Lanken airlines we decided to go cheap and do the 15 hour trip with Monarch. Not only was the flight the worst I had ever been on I have never felt so ill in my entire life, not to mention being stuck between two snoring/smelly fat americans. I didn't sleep once that flight and to top it off my TV wasn't working. Eventually, when we stopped off in India, I was shaking so much I was nearly stopped from getting back on the plane. I have vowed NEVER to take Monarch Airlines EVER again.

P.S: With me often being a lone traveler, airlines see it fit to stick me in the middle of every isle. I have never been on an isle seat unless swapping mine with a family member.

Man of Honour
My best and worst flights are ones in which I was doing the flying. I've had my fair share of good and bad passenger flights though.

Me flying:

Best flight was a trip I took on 26th April 2004. I departed Belfast Aldergrove at about 16:00 and flew for just over an hour to Dublin Weston, my trip taking me over the Mourne mountains and along the east coast. It was one of those magical evenings with a beautiful sunset when the sky was as smooth as silk. On landing at Weston, when I was on my way up to the tower to pay the landing fee I got a phonecall to inform me that a good friend of mine who had just come down with Menengitis had just passed away. I was devastated and contemplated not flying back until I felt better but I was tight for cash and it was just about to get dark so I decided to fly back to Belfast. On the way back I climbed out over Dublin up to FL60 and set myself up in the cruise. It was twilight, the sky was full of colour and it was just me and my thoughts up there at 6000ft trying to think about what had just happened. I had an experience in which I felt my friend who had just passed away was sitting beside me on that flight. It's something I have only experienced once and hope to experience again. I can only explain it as a feeling of communication with her and a feeling of warmth in which she was somehow telling me she was going to be fine. I'll never forget that flight.

My worst flight was on a trip to Islay. I flew up to Islay for a day trip with two passengers and we had a blast. It was a great day out on the Island. The return trip was nothign short of distressing though. The weather was closing in and I called Aldergrove to get their local weather which was showing marginal good/bad. I decided due to pressure from my passengers that we really needed to get going. I took off from Islay and flew straight into a low seafog and could hardly see a thing. I crapped myself and just about remained visual with the airfield so I turned round and landed straight away. I left it another few hours at which time the weather seemed to improve. Off we went again.
About half way across the channel where the Atlantic meets the Irish sea, I could see the Irish coast and could plainly see that the weather was crap. I quite stupidly pushed on and ended up in some really heavy rain showers and poor visibility. I considered diverting but I was in the iddle of it and I had went too far, I had to push on. At one stage I considered making a precautionary landing in a field it was that bad. I told air traffic control about my situation and luckily enough an RAF Puma was about 15 miles ahead of me. The Puma pilot said that the weather was clear in his position so I pushed on and ended up coming out of it.
Heres a pic of us approaching the Irish coast, you can clearly see the thick could and mist:
islay3.jpg

Here'sa pic of final approach where the weather was about 10x better than the worst we were in:
islay1.jpg

As for passenger flights my best experience would have been in February 2005 when I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to fly around Europe in the jumpseat (in the cockpit) with BA in their Airbus A319's and Boeing 757's. My most memorable one was departing Copenhagen whilst it was snowing. The views from the front were just breathtaking :cool: The flight out of Hamburg the following night was a nice experience too, especially on the return to London on a really clear night. Stunning.

I don't think I've had any really bad experience as a passenger. I had a bit of an uncomfortable flight back from Turkey once when a big fat smelly guy was sitting beside me but that's about the worst of it! :p

Associate
Superdude said:
P.S: With me often being a lone traveler, airlines see it fit to stick me in the middle of every isle. I have never been on an isle seat unless swapping mine with a family member.

Here's a hint - check-in online before you go to the airport and choose your own seat.

Soldato
Best - The one time i've had a perfectly clear view over greenland and the canadian tundra, awesome sight.

Worst - Hitting the Greenland coast and some real nasty updrafts coming off the land masses, we skirted along the coast and it was non stop drops and thumps for 15 minutes, was the only time the seatbelt has physically stopped my head from hitting the overhead compartments, one lady wasn't so smart and i saw her jump about a foot out of her seat, when it was over the book that i dropped was about 10 rows back.

Soldato
Britannia , SKG-MAN (thessaloniki-manchester)...hellish , packed , smelly , rotting 757 in a bad condition etc etc 3:30 hours of misery

Alitalia, milan malpensa - SKG(thessaloniki) MD-80. now that was an old plane too , but it was one of the most quiet planes i have ever flown. i couldnt hear a thing :cool: in the cabin. It was me and another 4 passengers so the stewardesses(stunning they were) gathered us in the front and we had some excellent time, talking etc :D . excellent

Soldato
Never had a good flight. The worst was when we were struck by lightning and the plane plunged several hundred feet in darkness with everyone screaming and me looking at my kids and thinking 'Well this is it then'.

Strangely enough I have a Mr T stance on flying now.

Soldato
Christ Roberta :eek:

Can't think of a best flight, mostly pretty basic.

Worst was when we went to the States the days after a hurricane. 8 hour flight, delayed by 4 hours anyway. Got told we were landing at Sanford rather than Orlando as it was flooded. Then we had to sit on the runway for 3 solid hours for one of the following reasons, no free gate/woman had a cardiac arrest due to massive turbulence/VIP on the plane. We then stayed overnight on the airport floor waiting to rent a car (guy serving had been there for 24 hours :eek: ). Oh, and it took an hour for our luggage to come through. Fun :)

Man of Honour
Worse flight? Pretty much everytime I fly easyjet or ryanair or any airline for that matter. :p

Last year I spent over 8.5days in total owing to air travel - and that's just being in the air, not counting time spent in airports or travelling to them. My trip to Italy (where I am now) has now been my 12th or 13th flight this year?

I honestly can't remember a flight I enjoy - I'm just SO bored of air travel it really doesn't excite me in the slightest. So it's often not very memorable if I have a good or bad flight really.

However "best" flight I have ever been on was flying buisness class to San Francisco. But then again what I mean by "best" is probably more along the line of least stressful, least uncomfortable and least pain in the arse.

I wish I could get giddy again going on a flight - even for holidays :/ What excites me the most is landing as I know I'll be able to get back to a normal day without being cooped up like cattle.

PS I know mr Burbleflop will be able to relate ;)
</mr gumpy air traveller>

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Assuming we're talking about commercial airlines, :-

Best

By far, Concorde. It's bit bit cramped, but while I enjoy takeoff and landing, I detest the tedium of the hours in-between. Concorde minimised that and so knocks every other available commercial flight, bar none, out of touch in my estimation.

Worst

Well, it's psychological I suppose, but an old Russian Ilyushin operated by TAROM (Romanian national airline) back in the '70s. I wasn't sure the ol' boneshaker was ever going to get off the ground, and having dome so, I was concerned that when it came back down, it would be in a large number of bits over a diverse geographical area. :eek:

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Best: Amsterdam to JKF with KLM - I'd spent a few hours in Amsterdam so I'd had a couple of joints and a pint or two, the plane was brand new with lcd tv's and I was heading to NYC. If I'd managed to upgrade it would've been bliss and I wouldn't have cared if we crash landed.

Worst: Luton to Inverness on EasyJet - I had a raging hangover and could only find a seat (damned first come, first served) beside a heaving walrus of a man, although I imagine a walrus smells better and communicates more coherently. A crash landing would've been sweet relief.

Permabanned
Worst: Iberia, Madrid to Havana. Grim.

It was a night flight, and i wanted to get some kip to try and sort my body clock out and get it onto Havana time.

I can never sleep on planes, so i thought i'd have a few beers (nothing too excessive), then drop off. 3 hours later, 10 beers down, wide awake.

Glance at the cans.....Non-Alcoholic. Evil evil evil. WHEN I ASK FOR A BEER, I WANT A BEER, NOT BEER FLAVOURED WATER. Spent the rest of the flight peeing every 10 minutes.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Best - probably the very first flight I was on - Heathrow to Vancouver. Flying was still exciting at that point.

Worst - pretty much every flight since that one has been deathly boring. That said, any time I have to deal with Heathrow I hate it. One flight to Canada was also quite "fun" - we were changing planes in Amsterdam, and about halfway from Manchester to there the plane started to sound different. When we were on the tarmac at the other end, the left-hand engine was making a right old racket....sounded like someone had thrown a bag of nails into it :eek:

Associate
Best: Air Berlin - Stansted to Berlin

We must have had ex-lutwaffe (sp?) pilot because this guy put the tiny little passenger planes they use through his places. Great fun with the banking at near 90 degrees :D Made even better when a girl from the trip was sick and the teacher tried to stand up and get sick bags while we banked...Angry german air stewardesses are rather amusing.

Worst - Virgin Airlines - Gatwick to Florida.

I love Virgin airlines because the food is the best when it comes to airplane food and the little TVs are amazing (I've only ever flown either budget or BA with only one big screen before hand). FLight was fine till we came into Florida. Hit massive turbulance and bouncing around, start our descent nice and speedily...only to suddenly hear the engines roar and be thrown back into our seats as the plane pulled up. It floats back a couple of minutes later that we had just had a near miss with a taking off plane.... Anyway so we go back into land, get couple of feet from the tarmac and the plane drops...it doesn't go down smoothly, it just drops from the air, causing my little sister to spew, missing the sick bag infront of her and all down the chair infront....

The plane was called Maiden voyeger...the first ever plane in the Virgin fleet...guess which plane we got home too >_>

Permabanned
Worst: Worst was an Eastern Airways from Nottingham East Midlands to Inverness. I was sat next to the engine, and the noise was so bad. The plane itself was only a 12 seater or something. Landing I could see the runway out of the left set of windows, then the front, then the right, and then the front again in the space of about 1 1/2 seconds. The pressure on my ears was immense, like nothing I've ever experienced. It was agony. Tried to find my colleague when we landed, and I couldnt hear him for about 15min!

Best: Was an Eastern Airways again, checked in about 30min before departure, straight through security through a side door. Onto the plane.
Free tea and coffee, with a snack. Landed an hour later, bags came out quickly. I was at the front of the plane everything was nice and easy and quick. I think that was NEMA to Aberdeen, but it could have been Inverness again, just a better flight.

Eastern Airways beats Easyjet, BMI Baby etc by miles usually :)

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Freefaller said:
Worse flight? Pretty much everytime I fly easyjet or ryanair or any airline for that matter. :p

Last year I spent over 8.5days in total owing to air travel - and that's just being in the air, not counting time spent in airports or travelling to them. My trip to Italy (where I am now) has now been my 12th or 13th flight this year?

I honestly can't remember a flight I enjoy - I'm just SO bored of air travel it really doesn't excite me in the slightest. So it's often not very memorable if I have a good or bad flight really.

However "best" flight I have ever been on was flying buisness class to San Francisco. But then again what I mean by "best" is probably more along the line of least stressful, least uncomfortable and least pain in the arse.

I wish I could get giddy again going on a flight - even for holidays :/ What excites me the most is landing as I know I'll be able to get back to a normal day without being cooped up like cattle.

PS I know mr Burbleflop will be able to relate ;)
</mr gumpy air traveller>

So thats why you keep jumping out of planes :p

Ive never been flying :o

Back
Top Bottom