Best antenna for Huawei B525 mobile data SIM router

Associate
I've just bought a Huawei B525 router to use with a mobile data SIM for home broadband. I currently have a Pixel 2 mobile phone using a Three SIM card. I get very good data speeds from my phone, get around 30 to 55 Mbps from pretty much all areas of my house.

I put the exact same SIM card into the Huawei hub and the best speed I can get is 0.5Mbps. The hub is in the exact same location as my phone is when I get 30 to 55 Mbps so I don't believe it is a bad location (not outright anyway). I have tried different locations in the same room but still get the same issue.

I have just ordered some external antennas (that look like this):

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41gi2gj-CHL._SY355_.jpg

They have mixed reviews so I'm not very hopeful they will improve it much. Is there a better antenna that will work for this hub.

I've not tried moving the hub near the window (not sure if glass will be better for signal) but I can try that location if it works. Alternatively, if there is a clearly much better antenna, then happy to try that.

If I can get at least 15 to 20Mbps, then I'd be happy enough.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Ah okay, I never knew they made a distinction. It must be a new thing though. Anyway, I wasn't planning to use my phone SIM in the router, I was just testing it to check what kind of speed I'd be getting. Anyway, will order a proper data SIM so I can check as well.

Associate
OP
I have just spoken to Three directly and they said there is no issue with using their Mobile Phone SIM in the Huawei router, they said that there's no filtering or throttle of allowance and the speeds I get would be the same between both types of SIM cards. I didn't ask why they have both options listed on their website though, I should have asked as that would have been interesting.

Back
Top Bottom