• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best bang for buck CPU - i7 4790k upgrade

Soldato
Hi folks,

It has been a while since I upgraded, and it was a pretty simple task from what I remember (went from an i7 920 D0 Stepping to an i7 4790k). Both were "top end" CPUs easily identified and paired to a Mobo, RAM. Maybe I am just getting older, thicker, or the brand naming schemes have indeed got way more complicated to follow but I am feeling a bit lost :D.

I think I am looking for an inexpensive mobo, RAM, CPU jobbie that is at least comparable for single core performance but offers something in higher productivity loads (usual home worker stuff - PPT, XLS, streams etc). I love CS:GO which is pretty low end but I may get into something higher end as my kid grows up and I get some time back.

I was tempted by the 5600X but I can see it is slightly worse for single thread performance. I then looked at the Ryzen 7700 but it is quite spenny. I have then looked at the 7600 which seems to be a significant jump over my i7 but once I add mobo, RAM, etc. I am into £500 territory.

Ideally I'd like to stay at £350 total. Is there a workhorse CPU I should be looking out for? Intel or AMD to be fair; although I hear horror stories about BSOD on the newer Intel stuff.

Wowza - that 12700K does seem like great value. Is there any benefit to go sans graphics (I assume that is what the KF means?).

You can get a 14400F for around £150, which performs similar to the 12600K and then pair with a cheap B760 board and 32GB of DDR4:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £176.98 (includes delivery: £3.99)​

About £20-£30 over budget and there's a cooler in the CPU box.

It shouldn't be, the single thread performance of a 5600X is way higher than a stock 4790K.
I will check that out - is £50 "top-up" worth it for the 12700k that Glanza suggested?

And you're right RE: 5600X, I misread the graph!

Thanks both. Helped me immensely :)

Back
Top Bottom