Best Before dates

Soldato
So BBE dates on sealed whey protein etc.

I've got a cupbaord full of Protein products. The stuff thats been opened has most definetly gone off. Found some Creatine that had turned black and hard..Eek.

Being dried and sealed do you think they are still edible. A few months out of date....A year out of date...2 years out of date.

Oh and a couple of bags of sealed Huel meals too..

Yeah i know, need to clean out the kitchen cupboards a bit more often!!

It's all fine. Even the opened stuff is probably fine unless it's clearly undergone a change of some sort. I recall some gymrats threads of whey being slung about in a sandwich bag for years.

:edit: I absolutely do not know if it's fine or not. I am odd with risk. Please seek alternative advice immediately.

Last edited:
depends how its been stored and if the packaging is damaged

I'm guessing for whey protein they just need a cool dry place out of sun light.

Open stuff will absorb moisture, even coffee will turn like a purple colour

Last edited:
I had a tin of Spam in the boot of my car, for about 4 years. Given that inside a car, the temperature will range from what, -5c up to about 40c?

Anyway I opened it up it was perfectly fine.
I recall seeing a TV programme where they ate Corned Beef from WW1 which was OK still. I can't imagine eating even fresh stuff, it's vile.

Last edited:
So BBE dates on sealed whey protein etc.

I've got a cupbaord full of Protein products. The stuff thats been opened has most definetly gone off. Found some Creatine that had turned black and hard..Eek.

Being dried and sealed do you think they are still edible. A few months out of date....A year out of date...2 years out of date.

Oh and a couple of bags of sealed Huel meals too..

Yeah i know, need to clean out the kitchen cupboards a bit more often!!

Sounds like moisture got in for the creatine and other stuff.

If it's in powder form it should be fine, even if things are glued together you can run them through a blender and it's not an issue.

If they're discolouring I'd be concerned, black creatine is new to me.

I recall seeing a TV programme where they ate Corned Beef from WW1 which was OK still. I can't imagine eating even fresh stuff, it's vile.

Properly dried and canned corned beef will still be edible for a very long time potentially until the can itself breaks down, but the taste and composition might be unpleasant after a few years.

Last edited:
I absentmindedly consumed a pack of Lincolnshire sausages that were 6 days beyond the use by date last Sunday. Still here and no bottom related trauma, but in hindsight it was a right balls up, just didn't read the label. To be fair they were in my dad's fridge and was going for an easy sausage sandwich. I don't know if this is what Sir Kier had in mind as such.

I had a tin of Spam in the boot of my car, for about 4 years. Given that inside a car, the temperature will range from what, -5c up to about 40c?

Anyway I opened it up it was perfectly fine.
What car was it ? Usually it's store in a cool dry place, so if we're talking Ferarri that's cool, but Lada it's definitely gone bad

Back
Top Bottom