Best cable for phone line extension

Associate
Hello I have my internet coming in a couple of days but my master socket is the wrong end of the room, I’ve not long moved in and it’s rented so Im not able to rip up floors ect.
I need to run a cable from one end of the room to a room the other end along some picture rail and architrave.
I do t want the cable to be too thick as it will be ugly and the missis will moan. I was going to use cat 5 or 6 but it’s a little thick. It’s an Openreach 5c socket so I can run a rj11 extension cable to the router as there will be no phone installed there. I have 2 computers and fire stick and amp needing to be connected so wireless isn’t strong enough for me I’d rather wired.
Is there a good quality 4 twisted solid copper pair cable I can run with the rj11 connection

Cheers

Associate
OP
So with that I can run it straight into the micro filter that’s built in?
I can run a slave extension but I don’t really need the phone line in the other room only the router so may as well run extension cable

Soldato
You can connect it directly to the terminals provided inside the socket.

The cable is going to have at least two pairs in it so you can extend the data and voice separately but down the same cable.

I have an extension wall socket in my office that has an RJ11 and a BT socket.

This assumes that you have a socket with the two outlet filtered faceplate.

Associate
OP
CW1308. You only need a single pair for the extension but you'll need to buy at least 2 pair.
My by faceplate has a built in micro filter so I bought a 10m router cable with rj11 connections on either end. Only thing is the terminal on the by faceplate looks as though it has a 6pin rj11 but the cable I have is only a 4 wire cable so it’s missing 2 cables, last time I checked my old routers only have 4 pins and not 6 but do the new bt hubs have 6 cable rj11 ports?

Soldato
You only need 2 wires (1 pair). Any other wires aren't going to be doing anything useful.

BTW RJ11 is a type of cable not a type of connector. An 'RJ11' with 6 wires is actually an RJ12 (same connector, 2 more wires).

Associate
OP
You only need 2 wires (1 pair). Any other wires aren't going to be doing anything useful.

BTW RJ11 is a type of cable not a type of connector. An 'RJ11' with 6 wires is actually an RJ12 (same connector, 2 more wires).
Ahh you learn something every day. Thanks for the help but just to clarify the cable I have which is made up of 4 wires will be fine to plug in the micro filter one end and the by hub the other end? 10m is a tad to long so most likely I’ll trim a few meters off as I have some spare connectors laying about somewhere but for now the 10m will be fine

Back
Top Bottom