Best chicken/steak marinades, either supermarket or homemade?

Soldato
If I have time, then the day before I cook steak I give them a good rubbing of freshly ground pepper and Bovril (/other concentrated beef stock) and a sprinkle of mixed herbs. A touch of olive oil over each one helps to spread it.

A good one for chicken (cut into thin strips): paprika, chilli powder, mixed herbs, lemon pepper, lemon juice (half a lemon, or so) and olive oil. Mix all together in a bowl, stir in the chicken strips and leave in the fridge overnight. Before cooking, add small amounts of flour until the marinade starts to stick, then fry.

Caporegime
Not a marinade but just as tasty. Tonight I had a couple of chicken fillets, rubbed lightly with some olive oil then seasoned with fresh ground black pepper, sea salt (coarse ground) and some chilli flakes, plenty of sea salt! Then into a hot dry pan and brown both sides, pop open some beer and pour a small amount into pan, seal with a lid, reduce heat slightly and repeat as liquor reduces. you should be left with a slightly sticky coating thats rich and spicy due to the salt drawing all the heat from the chilli flakes. Super sliced for sandwiches as well :)

20120716203338422.jpg

Soldato
Not a marinade but just as tasty. Tonight I had a couple of chicken fillets, rubbed lightly with some olive oil then seasoned with fresh ground black pepper, sea salt (coarse ground) and some chilli flakes, plenty of sea salt! Then into a hot dry pan and brown both sides, pop open some beer and pour a small amount into pan, seal with a lid, reduce heat slightly and repeat as liquor reduces. you should be left with a slightly sticky coating thats rich and spicy due to the salt drawing all the heat from the chilli flakes. Super sliced for sandwiches as well :)

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2609/20120716203338422.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Will have to try that, looks awesome! Any old beer suitable? Bitter? Lager?

Caporegime
Will have to try that, looks awesome! Any old beer suitable? Bitter? Lager?

Very tasty indeed mate and so simple. The beer I used was Lager (quite a few people know what am gonna say next .... Harp) but I'm pretty sure you could get away with anything. Secret is not to go mad, just add a little at a time, ie. baste whatever you're cooking.

Soldato
I personally love Heinz American Steak Sauce. I developed a taste for it when I was at sea last year as they had it on the ship, and I've been trying to find it ever since. Happily though, I discovered that ASDA have start selling it, £1 for a bottle. :D

Soldato
I personally love Heinz American Steak Sauce. I developed a taste for it when I was at sea last year as they had it on the ship, and I've been trying to find it ever since. Happily though, I discovered that ASDA have start selling it, £1 for a bottle. :D

That stuff is awesome.. And although i am not a fan of hot stuff its got some nice bite to it.

Soldato
That stuff was the highlight of my week when I was at sea. After a long week in the engine room Saturdays were awesome. Bacon & Eggs at Breakfast, Pancakes for lunch after we'd knocked off for a half day, then dinner was bliss. A prawn cocktail to start, then a two-inch thick fillet steak cooked to order by the chief cook served with fries, sweetcorn on the cob, mushrooms and broccolli, with Heinz American Steak Sauce of course, then for dessert, ice cream. The Captain would usually put out a case or two of Heineken from the cold stores which you could help yourself to to wash it all down with as well. Perfection. :D

Back
Top Bottom