Best cooler for Ryzen 5 1600?

Associate
Hey guys, what is the best cooler for the Ryzen 5 1600 that would allow me to overclock to decent clocks? I have ASUS B350-Plus Motherboard. What kind of clocks do you think I could achieve? I have got the factory version that's overclocked to 3.4 GHz. And please no coolers that would be too complicated to fit, so no custom liquid cooling with quadruple loops and such :D

Thanks guys

Soldato
Most any good mid-level to upper tier cooler should work .. assuming your case airflow is setup to match. For the sounds of your post I would stick with air cooling. Air cooling allows good overclocking, just not extreme overclocking .. and is so much easier to install and use. Once case airflow is setup correctly about all that is needed is keep the intake air filters clean. Need to know case and RAM to determine what coolers will fit. Price range would help too. ;)

Associate
OP
Most any good mid-level to upper tier cooler should work .. assuming your case airflow is setup to match. For the sounds of your post I would stick with air cooling. Air cooling allows good overclocking, just not extreme overclocking .. and is so much easier to install and use. Once case airflow is setup correctly about all that is needed is keep the intake air filters clean. Need to know case and RAM to determine what coolers will fit. Price range would help too. ;)
Not dead set on a case and RAM yet, for RAM I'm thinking about DARK PRO 8GB (2X4GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT - BLACK/RED.

As for the case I am thinking of getting the DEFINE R4 MIDI TOWER CASE - BLACK WINDOW or the NZXT - S340. I'm not sure if this changes anything but I will be getting a modular PSU.

For the budget I would like to stick under £120

Soldato
Not dead set on a case and RAM yet, for RAM I'm thinking about DARK PRO 8GB (2X4GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT - BLACK/RED.

As for the case I am thinking of getting the DEFINE R4 MIDI TOWER CASE - BLACK WINDOW or the NZXT - S340. I'm not sure if this changes anything but I will be getting a modular PSU.

For the budget I would like to stick under £120
I suggest using RAM that is not so tall. Modern RAM generates almost no heat, so does not need any heat spreaders to run cool .. and DDR4 RAM PCB is only about 31.35mm tall. Anything taller is nothing but looks.

Define R4 is a good case, but stock fans are not good. You will need at least 2 good front intake fans for it, and I prefer 3x good fans with one as bottom intake. No exhaust fans are needed.
Not used S340.
If you haven't looked at Phanteks cases they are quite good and they come with good fans too.
While I haven't used any of the be quiet! cases, they also look very good. I like their ability to flip motherboard tray and have it show through window on either side of case. Lots of thought went into their design and function. ;)

£120 is more than enough. Top tier air coolers are about £50-85.

Associate
OP
I suggest using RAM that is not so tall. Modern RAM generates almost no heat, so does not need any heat spreaders to run cool .. and DDR4 RAM PCB is only about 31.35mm tall. Anything taller is nothing but looks.

Define R4 is a good case, but stock fans are not good. You will need at least 2 good front intake fans for it, and I prefer 3x good fans with one as bottom intake. No exhaust fans are needed.
Not used S340.
If you haven't looked at Phanteks cases they are quite good and they come with good fans too.
While I haven't used any of the be quiet! cases, they also look very good. I like their ability to flip motherboard tray and have it show through window on either side of case. Lots of thought went into their design and function. ;)

£120 is more than enough. Top tier air coolers are about £50-85.

Would you recommend those pre-assembled/ AIO liquid coolers?

Soldato
Would you recommend those pre-assembled/ AIO liquid coolers?
Short answer is no, I do not recommend but a very few of the pre-assembled and filled systems. I do like be quiet! Silent Loop. I have a 280mm one and it is the only AIO I have used over the years testing and reviewing that I have kept in a system for longer than it took to test them.

Long answer requires a quick tutorial of what AIO's and CLC's are;
CLC's are a sub-group of AIOs. Most of the AIO's sold are CLC's, like all Corsiar, NZXT, EVGA, Themrmaltake, Arctic, etc. are almost all made by Asetek with a few made by Apaltek, CoolIT and ID-Cooling. All CLCs have aluminum radiators and no provision to add coolant or to change / replace components.

Asetek are almost identical pump/waterblock and raidator with differnt fans and different cosmetic looks and brand labels. Asetek does not publish pump flow rate but independent testing shows them to be 40-61 L/h. Enermax Liqtech TR4 pump is rated 450 L/h and ID-Cooling Frostflow is rated 96 L/h.

AIO's like be quiet! Silent Loop, Fractal Design Kelvin and Alphacool Eisbear are made by Aphacool and while using same radiator use slightly different pumps rated 72-100L/h. Swiftech H series AIOs pump is rated 660 L/h.

All of the above AIO's not CLC's have proper threaded fittings, fill port, copper radiators, .. in other words much better build the CLC's ..

But still not as good as most custom loops. The most popular custom loop pump is EK-D5 with a maximum flow rate of 1500 L/h. Most users run pump at 1/3 to 1/2 speed, so flow rate is much lower in normal use, but still many times higher then CLC's .. and even though AIO's that are not CLC's have significantly higher flow rate then CLC's, only Swiftech and Enermax Liqtech TR4 are anywhere close to custom loop pumps.

I did not like CLC's when they came out and was very out-spoken about their shortcomings. In the years sense I've seen many CLC owners come back to top tier air cooling .. and even some dedicated custom loop people are coming back to air cooling. Reasons are many but mostly cost and maintenance.

As orbitalwalsh posted Silent Loop 280mm is £139.99.
Dark Rock Advanced is a good upper mid-level cooler. It is quiet at the loss of some cooling ability. be quiet! make some of the best looking coolers, along with Cryorig.

Permabanned
Hey guys, what is the best cooler for the Ryzen 5 1600 that would allow me to overclock to decent clocks? I have ASUS B350-Plus Motherboard. What kind of clocks do you think I could achieve? I have got the factory version that's overclocked to 3.4 GHz. And please no coolers that would be too complicated to fit, so no custom liquid cooling with quadruple loops and such :D

Thanks guys

You have a very decent cooler in the box. Wraith Spire. Overclock yours to 3.8GHz. Must be much more than enough.

Soldato
Any idea what the noise difference is between the Wraith Spire and the be quiet! air cooler recommended by orbitalwalsh?
It does not cool quite as well as 212 at similar noise level
http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/amd/wraith-max-and-wraith-spire-cooler/2
Thermalright Macho Rev. B is cools a little better with 700rpm fan but is much, much quieter.
Normal fan for Macho Rev. B is 300-1300rpm fan, and even at full speed is not at all loud but wil cool much better then 700rpm fan does.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-wraith-cpu-cooler,review-33432-2.html

Last edited:
Permabanned
Any idea what the noise difference is between the Wraith Spire and the be quiet! air cooler recommended by orbitalwalsh?

The Wraith Spire cooler coming with AMD processors is a new, modern, revised cooler that is decent and at the same time very quiet.
For the proposed budgets of 50 and 140 pounds, you can go to completely new performance sgements, if invested properly.
It has very little sense to invest in cooling for Ryzen. Ryzen won't go over 3.9GHz - 4.1GHz anyways ;)

Soldato
The second review link I posted above shows the difference.
While Wraith at 38dB is not terrible loud in most of our enviroments with a 32-34dB ambient level, the Macho is 32dB so virtually inaudible.
Macho Rev. B is representative of upper-mid-level and top tier cooler sound levels, which when combined with their added cooling ability means fans never have to spin very fast, even running very high loads.

Associate
OP
The second review link I posted above shows the difference.
While Wraith at 38dB is not terrible loud in most of our enviroments with a 32-34dB ambient level, the Macho is 32dB so virtually inaudible.
Macho Rev. B is representative of upper-mid-level and top tier cooler sound levels, which when combined with their added cooling ability means fans never have to spin very fast, even running very high loads.
I can't seem to find the Macho cooler on Overclockers UK, is it not for sale here or am I just not looking hard enough for it?

Soldato
The wraith spire is fine up to 3.7 and depending on what temps you are comfortable with you can go higher.

It is very good for a stock cooler, I would try it out first at higher overclocks.

Soldato
I can't seem to find the Macho cooler on Overclockers UK, is it not for sale here or am I just not looking hard enough for it?
That's because OcUK does not sell Thermalright coolers. Macho Rev.B is really just at the mid-level and top tier cooler changeover point. There are several equally as good, but the Thermalright TY-147A fan is what really makes it exceptional. The TY-147A moves a lot of air at very low noise levels. Both are available on river sales site. There are other cooler here with similar performance. Which cooler to choose depends on what will fit in your case, what will fit on your motherboard without blocking PCie sockets you plan to use and how tall your RAM is.

Soldato
I'm eyeing up the Cryorig H7, just need to check it's clearance against my team group nighthawk memory.

You can use any height ram with the Cryorig H7 as it doesn't overhang the ram slots.

From the product description:

THE CRYORIG H7 CPU TOWER COOLER AT A GLANCE
  • CPU tower coolers made of copper and aluminium for best cooling performance
  • Suitable for installation with oversized RAM modules
  • Specially arranged honeycomb-shaped cooling fins ensure optimum removal of residual heat
  • Suitable for processors with up to 140 Watt TDP
  • Height: 145 mm
  • Uncomplicated installation

Associate
OP
You can use any height ram with the Cryorig H7 as it doesn't overhang the ram slots.

• Specially arranged honeycomb-shaped cooling fins ensure optimum removal of residual heat
Guess I'l go for the Cryorig then, will do some more research to see how quiet and effective it is.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

The Thermalright Macho Rev.B looks good, it looks like the design is also offset so it doesn't overhang the RAM slots.

http://thermalright.com/product/macho-rev-b/

Back
Top Bottom